Small super-shield with 416?

pampasound

I am about to purchase one but before wanted to know if anyone has tried the small size with an MKH416 (maybe with a right angled XLR?). I know that Rycote suggests the medium size for the 416 but i also know that they suggest the modular kit 4 but most people i know use a 416 on a modular kit 3. 

So, anyone out there with the super-shield small that can confirm if the 416 will fit?

Thanks in advance!

p.s: senator, i know the "contact the manufactures", and i did :D

@ Christopher...Thanks for the quick response! and I will definitely take your advice.

But just curious to know since the 416 is 250mm, same as body length of the small kit, plus there is 100mm extra (50mm on front and 50mm on the back). I am wondering even with a right angled XLR you still think the 416 won't fit?...

Thanks and please know that i appreciate your input. The reason i ask is because unfortunately i don't have a store to go to in my city to try for myself. 

pam: " i know the "contact the manufactures", "

contact the usual suspect you prefer, that's what they are there for...

As great and well informed as our "usual suspects" can be, there are many things they might not particularly know. They aren't all working sound mixers after all, messing and futzing with every last detail and doodad of a custom built sound kit or cart. Also, calling in and taking the time to explain, and for them to attempt to find out a precise answer to an often very precise question, is often time consuming, costly, and inefficient. and likely taking them away from their primary responsibility of staffing the sales, service and rental departments. Contact usual suspect should not be blanket advice any longer. I'd further add, that many employees of the "usual suspects" read this board and likely have an active open page on a daily basis. So in effect, I would argue posting here would be considered "contacting the usual suspects". Albeit indirectly.

@ Christopher...Thanks for the quick response! and I will definitely take your advice.

But just curious to know since the 416 is 250mm, same as body length of the small kit, plus there is 100mm extra (50mm on front and 50mm on the back). I am wondering even with a right angled XLR you still think the 416 won't fit?...

Thanks and please know that i appreciate your input. The reason i ask is because unfortunately i don't have a store to go to in my city to try for myself.

No, small supershield is not appropriate for a 416 even with the right angle XLR... the mic will bump into the inside of the shield as you cue it.

I use the right angle xlr in the medium, and this gives me good but not generous room with a 416.

Does anybody use the WS 295 with a 416? As seen here http://www.rycote.com/products/modular-windshield-ws-295-kit/

They say to add an extra 50mm for the connector, which brings the total length to 300mm, and the body length of the cage comes to 295mm. By those numbers it's a no brainer, however, the listing says that many favour it as an alternative to the WS 4.

Personal experience with the WS 295 and a 416, anyone?

• 2 years later...
On 23 September 2014 at 0:35 PM, Travis Williamson said:

Does anybody use the WS 295 with a 416? As seen here http://www.rycote.com/products/modular-windshield-ws-295-kit/

They say to add an extra 50mm for the connector, which brings the total length to 300mm, and the body length of the cage comes to 295mm. By those numbers it's a no brainer, however, the listing says that many favour it as an alternative to the WS 4.

Personal experience with the WS 295 and a 416, anyone?

Yes I do Travis.