non pneumatic tires

JonG

I know that some people have been exploring these sorts of tires, but I feel like there hasn't been any sort of follow up that describes any successful working finds. ProSound in Georgia had nearly found a solution a while back, but I don't know if he ever found the right thing. 

I have an old Skyline Folding Upright cart, probably from the 70s (the tray on top is exactly Nagra sized), which I believe was made by Wilcox, and pre-dates the PSC carts that seem to have been largely inspired by this design. Though I have never compared the two carts side by side, the dimensions seem to be very close, so non pneumatic tires for a PSC cart may work for mine.

I would love to find some non pneumatic tires for it, since the tires are always either flat or when inflated, too unmanageable (the cart is harder to steer and it bounces!). Frankly the tires being flat doesn't bother me (the cart isn't heavy enough to damage the wheels) so much as everyone on set every day commenting on the flat tires. Literally one after another people will come up to me and bring it up!

Thanks in advance!

I have the same cart--it was made for Skyline/Wilcox by 3-G Welding of Calabasas, CA.  (Long out of biz.)  The current version of my cart, remodeled a few years ago, has 20" pneumatics on the rears, made for DIY garden carts.  I'm pretty sure you could find a similar thing in a wheel with a solid tire, but the wheels would be heavier.  I understand the interest in non-pneumatics on carts--I've run my magliner (my main cart anymore) with the lightweight stock hard rubber-tired wheels for several years now, and much prefer these to either the standard magliner pneumatics and the gel-filled no-flat types made for this cart.  If I was wanting to do what you have mentioned, I'd go back to the gardening sites looking for wheels-- I bet you find some.  But…you'll probably have to move the axles on the cart--I had to relocate mine to accomodate the 20"s since the original wheels were 14s.  Pls post pix when yr done!

philp

PS: if you do a big remodel of your cart, maybe to include powder coat or anodizing, be sure and check all the welds!  Over the many years I've had this cart (since '84) I've had to have the welds on the lower half of the cart redone twice.  I used to have heavy stuff down there (big lead-acid batts, audio power amp) and the stresses from rolling over uneven ground and cables etc cracked those welds.

Over the years there have been people trying to make a never-flat inner tube replacement for mountain bikes and BMX (20"). I think the cost and weight are what kept those from becoming successful in those markets, but I remember people trying to pitch ones that you could put any tire on the outside. Because they were trying them for mountain bikes, they were not like rock solid rubber tires, but had some bounce.