Bag mixers worldwide - equipment package rates

jonathan chiles

I know this topic gets discussed frequently and can become tiresome but would appreciate your input here. There is a good thread going on in the "Equipment" section where folks are talking openly about what they are getting weekly for network TV shows. I would like to know from people in the US, UK, Europe and worldwide what they are getting daily on bag jobs.

In my market in my part of the world we have no unions or any organizations looking after our shared interests and are now doing our best to get everyone together and determine fair minimum rates for our gear packages. In trying to find a new standard that fits our market it would be really helpful to know how others are billing for gear around the world. I think this could be a helpful reference for many others also.

Would like to hear where you are based and your "numbers" for a "standard" package:

Mixer hard wired to camera

2 x Professional wireless lavs (Lectro, Wisy, Zax, Senn, Micron Audio Ltd)

Boom

Boom Mic w Rycote

Then for extra a la carte items:

Wireless Hop

TC Recorder

Extra Wireless lav

IFB Tx

IFB Rx

And also NB what if any discounts are you giving for weekly deals?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not the best person to answer this bag work, as I mostly do cart based stuff. Also my rate varies wildly depending on the project and, more importantly, client.

One thing is absolutely certain, though: NO discounts for longer projects! If production wants to pay less, I bring less.

There are unions here in Germany, which are not bad, especially for the hours and overtime and all that. But the unions don't care at all about gear rates.

Good idea, Jonathan! How about you post your numbers first? For me the gear package is almost never the same on two different jobs. Could be 100 Euros per day, could be 300. I read in a thread on this group some time ago that between 1 and 2% of the purchase price of each piece of kit is a fair daily rental rate, and I think that is a good starting point.

Would like to hear where you are based and your "numbers" for a "standard" package:

Boom

Boom Mic w Rycote

= $550nzd per 10hr day including labour, plus GST (tax) @ 15%

Wireless Hop      $125+

TC Recorder      $120+

Extra Wireless lav $75-100

IFB Tx  $30

IFB Rx  $30

Grant.

New Zealand.

UK calling!

Boom

Boom Mic w Rycote

£100

Wireless Hop £50

TC Recorder £50

Extra Wireless lav £25

IFB Tx £15

IFB Rx £10

Absolutely none, ever, and I mean ever!

One thing is absolutely certain, though: NO discounts for longer projects! If production wants to pay less, I bring less. .

Constantin - absolutely with you - for me everyday is a different day I could be charging full rate for my services and equipment. My overheads aren't less over 8 weeks than for a single day, so what I charge shouldn't be.

Thanks for replies gents, I think its great for reference to have at least ballpark figures from around the world. Especially since we are all mostly using the same or similar gear. 

I know the rates do vary from job to job but it can be such a grey area that we end up undercutting each other. We are trying to establish guide lines here for our market so at least there is some sort of standard to refer to.

I should of course post some numbers for our market, these vary wildly between local and foreign clients and if a local prod company gets in the middle or not.

Boom

Boom Mic w Rycote

Usually $150 minimum at present

Wireless Hop

Between $50 - $75

TC Recorder

Usually $50 - $75 on top of basic package

Extra Wireless lav

Usually $50

IFB Tx

Usually $15

IFB Rx

Usually $15

Sometimes we are pressured to do 4 day weeks, but generally bill full kit rates for each shoot day

Constantin: " NO discounts for longer projects! "

of course some of us disagree, and we also feel we have valid reasons for doing so...

the cost of the item is one factor, and its projected usefull (rental) life, along with what is typical wear and tear, and maintenance need to also be considered.

and then comes the client, and negotiations begin...

Constantin: " NO discounts for longer projects! "

of course some of us disagree, and we also feel we have valid reasons for doing so...

the cost of the item is one factor, and its projected usefull (rental) life, along with what is typical wear and tear, and maintenance need to also be considered.

and then comes the client, and negotiations begin...

Of course some of us disagree. Although the reasons you listed are only supporting my statement.

I'm not saying I will get through with this stance every time, but it is a starting point, and I do usually stick with it.

There may be an addition to my "No discounts" statement. If the project is really long, then we can talk about it.

Anyway, as I said, it's different for every job