Foo Fighters Sonic Highways: Trailer

al mcguire

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see the show? It was well made technically but it came off as a "Documercial" for the new Foo Fighters album more than anything IMO. I do like the concept of the show but I'd like more history less Foo's.  Of course if it weren't for them the show wouldn't exist. All in all I'm in till the end.

CrewC

I watched it again last night and I liked it. It starts with Dave Grohl talking about how he feels about studios. He goes through the history of Chicago musicians with an emphasis on the evolution of punk rock. We see Electric Highway and meet Steve Albini who built it. Big airy room with brick walls and a wooden floor, a very effin live room. Control room has a Neotek Console http://www.sytek-audio-systems.com/ , you never see the recorders but I suspect they were analog multitracks. You see the interaction in the control room.

All fun stuff that had me missing being in the studio. The show then go to a Foo Fighters music video and I kind of lost interest. Soundboy don't do punk.

They are also going to Austin, Los Angeles, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, Seattle, andWashington, D.C.

The Nashville episode will be in the former Monument Studio now Zac Browns  Southern Ground Studios

http://southerngroundnashville.com/

The next episode is Washington DC

Steve Albini records to two inch tape. I believe there was a shot of them threading up a reel of tape. I agree, more history less Foo Fighters. I don't really like the Foo Fighters, but I love the way that Dave Grohl uses his celebrity. Awesome doc stuff, and he got to play Animal in the Muppets movie. Well done, sir.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the Nashville episode.

It told of the story Nashville from several interviews, Dolly Parton,Willie Nelson, Emmy Lou Harris, Steve Earle, Dan Auerback, Tony Joe White, Tony Brown and others.

You get to meet Zac Brown and hear his story.

The Studio was one of the Music Row  originals called  Monument Recording, sold to Al Jolson Jr in the 80's renamed Masterlink .

It is now owned by Zac Brown and now called Southern Ground and thats where the band records.

The Interviews were well chosen and the fact that it is all about the song got through clearly.

Good to see an extended interview with Tony Joe White.  

• 2 weeks later...

This week is California and the high point for me was Joe Walsh playing the guitar lick from Funk 49.

Daniel Lanois is also featured as well as LA Rock history.

I'm loving seeing the studios  and control rooms, Daniel Lanois just uses 1 room for both.

I grabbed this image of Butch Vig miking the bass drum.

post-72-0-70784500-1416115253_thumb.png