TC slate face up or face down between use

AudioMTL

Starting to use TC slates in my workflow and AC always puts it face down. I was concerned with scratching and asked politely what the common procedure is. She mentioned it was always asked of her to put it facedown to protect from the sun. However, putting it facedown indoors all the time and outside on scratchy surfaces. We agreed that she could put it face down but only on gentle surfaces. Curious what you guys do with yours. Thanks!

I put two 1/2" rubber "feet" on the lower portion of the sticks on both sides (of the front) of the slate. That way when it is placed face down the face does not make contact with anything.... This has worked well for years....  Use feet  (mine are clear square) with the adhesive ... clean the sticks portion first with alcohol so you get a good adhesion...

I put two 1/2" rubber "feet" on the lower portion of the sticks on both sides (of the front) of the slate. That way when it is placed face down the face does not make contact with anything.... This has worked well for years....  Use feet  (mine are clear square) with the adhesive ... clean the sticks portion first with alcohol so you get a good adhesion...

Perfect solution! Thank you!!

That is a great idea!

The ACs I have worked with either tuck them into a set bag or stand them up on the floor or on a table, or tragically on the back of a set wall or on the dolly. I always ask why they stand them up, because they always fall over. They said it was because they thought laying it flat on the ground would be rude, like they were just leaving it on the ground.

I would be perfectly happy with laying them flat on the back. But I don't really lose much sleep over it.

MTL: " TC slate face up or face down between use " ??

yes, usually, though sometimes I see them standing up on it's bottom, which is not usually stable!

often there is a show face over the actual front,  but in any case, getting beat up is part of the slate's gig, one of the reasons I'm not uncomfortable charging properly for TC slates.  (all of my slates have had their fronts replaced several times, except the EL,  on which I keep a 9H screen protector I had fabricated from thin plate glass. 

I , too, like the rubber feet idea

I also like AFew's the suggestion of sticking rubber feet on the faceplate to protect if from scratches.

But the faceplates are easily and inexpensively replaced. One peels off the old face, cleans the adhesive residue and sticks on a new one obtained from Denecke. I seem to remember paying about $30 the last time I did this - it may be twice that now but it's not a great fortune.

If you work with a first time director, it can be a nice gesture to peel off the faceplate at the end of the shoot to give as a memento.

David

MTL: " TC slate face up or face down between use " (all of my slates have had their fronts replaced several times, except the EL,  on which I keep a 9H screen protector I had fabricated from thin plate glass. 

Id like to get a protective cover for my EL as well. Can you suggest anyone to do this? Thanks!

Hey, MTL: I got mine from a company I found (SEIDIO) that makes  VITREO cell phone and tablet screen protectors, actually you could contact any of a huge number of these companies, though one-of-a-kind's cost a bit more...

http://www.seidioonline.com/Articles.asp?ID=137

Edited by studiomprd

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-1-2-in-Surface-Gard-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl-Square-Bumpers-9-Pack-9562/100187397

These are the ones I use....  Either 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch... your choice...  

As I look at them...  I do use the 3/4"..   My slate is stored in the van.... and my memory fading..LOL..

David,

Basic faceplates are cheap. Under $30. The concern for many of us are the backlit faceplates at about $160.

But since almost nobody uses front boxes any more, a thin piece of lexan with a few dots of Velcro on the corners will do the trick to protect the faceplate and makes replacing them cheap and easy.

Robert

I have a Ts2-sb which has an incredibly wide base, so it stands on its own very well. I always tell people to just stand it up, but put it in a place where it wont be knocked over. I also have soft side velcro on the bottom so it doesnt get dinged up.

I havent felt the need to upgrade the slate since i stick a Zaxcom ERX on the back of it to keep time.