Copyright protected CD burns/service

Edmond Smith

Hey everyone!

It has been a long while since I've posted, but hope everyone is doing well all things considered in our ups and downs of work.

Here is my question: Where in Los Angeles could one find a servicer willing to burn copyright protected material to a CD. (A friend of my mothers has an audio Book she would like to publish along side her book without fear of losing a lot of profit from widespread sharing I'm guessing.)

Thank you very much!

Pretty much everything is copyright protected. However, not everything is copy protected.

You should be able to just have the copies made at any cd copying company. The may want to see some proof of copyright ownership or at least ask you to sign a waiver.

In any case, they would be able to answer your question much better

Your mom's friend is facing a losing battle. See the article in Wikipedia on copy protection of CDs and DVDs. Or ask anybody who lived through the various battles over protection in the early 2000s. 

Attempts by Sony and other heavy-hitters to protect their music CDs were an epic fail. In some cases, discs weren't playable by legit buyers; in others the manufacturer was on shaky legal ground because making a digital protection copy for your own personal use is absolutely permitted by law.

Besides, the reality of today's connected world is that everything that can be copied and posted, will be copied and posted somewhere. The site hosting it might be full of malware and the files might be infected, but they'll be out there. My books are out there somewhere; I've gotten reports on many of the CDs I've produced being available at warez sites... sometimes, with my name still credited as producer!

I think we're actually talking about publication.

You need 2 things for a CD.

1. a ISRC code for each track on the CD.

It costs $80 to register an account that gives you about 100K codes I think.

Your CD mastering software needs to have a field to input the ISRC code for each track before creating the

image .  That's what is missing from some of the cheaper services or home-burn software.

2. a UPC code for the CD itself.

It costs a ton to get a unique company ID for UPC, but you can purchase them individually or in packs of 3-100

from a reseller.

e.g. $75 for one or $150 for 3.

With these in place, the duplicated CD can be resold through distributors.

The alternative is not to go physical at all, use tunecore or cdbaby to have the CD contents published to itunes, amazon music etc.

That gets you a much wider distributing base and doesn't cost much.   

You might need to join ASCAP as well so that any licensed re-use actually funnels the payments back to you.

Neither way does any of the marketing for you - you still need to find a way to let people who might want the product know about it.