Phil Palmer

Prompted by Jeff's #fbf post on FB today, I'm about to embark on a cover solution to my current cart configuration.  I've been in New Mexico for the last 4 months and the wind, dust, rain, etc. that I have experienced has got me thinking.  The boat cover, sail maker route seems to be the most logical as is evident by the photo Jeff posted today.  Anyone have experience with this in LA?  Any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance.

PWP

I would start at Home depot... Go to the barbecue section... They have a few sizes... They work great... thicker then you would think..I have used them for a long time..and they come sized for an upright and a horizontal configuration.  They will not fit all carts, but worth a try... fairly priced too..  built pretty well for the money..

My carts somehow were the correct size...

The smallest baggit is too big for a Magliner type cart--we ended up trimming a lot off the bottom edge so it didn't drag on the ground, and I end up winding up one end with a grip clip if there are no poles 'n zeps in the horizontal rack.  But I like the fact that the baggit is pretty flexible and not a big loss if forgotten on location.  For a permanent mixer cart with a lot of expensive gear attached I love the idea of a custom cover made to fit.  Very classy.  Get it embroidered with your logo and name, like a director's chair!

philp

I had a custom cover made by Shooterslicker. M.T.O.  Unlimited 310.821.5659. Susan Ottalini will design it exactly to your specifications. Mine has zippers on all four sides and I can roll it up and it stays on the cart unitil I need it. All waterproof.

http://www.shooterslicker.com/#!audio-and-slate-products

This is a picture when I had the upper 4 space on top of my 19 RU SKB.

post-273-0-21909300-1411764878_thumb.jpg

I once looked into BBQ covers (Home Depot) and actually bought a few. Was not able to return them when even after very careful measurements I could not find one that fit my follow cart properly. The working cart, my main cart, I don't think I would ever have been able to buy something "off the shelf" that would work. My last cover (for an older cart I do not use anymore) was done by Mike Anderson. For a working cart, there needs to be all sorts of custom flaps, closures and access points if you want to have the cover on while working (mixing). I have found that making a mock up with butcher paper for example, a mock up that shows the openings, where there will be Velcro to secure and so forth, can become a template for fabrication.

Also, some carts are much easier to provide a cover --- the RastOrder carts come to mind, well suited for covers. Large case-based carts (like the SKB carts) could be easy since everything is already quite enclosed. Open frame type carts (like my cart, the Chinhda carts) present other problems. Magliner, horizontal style carts, seem to be the most difficult because the equipment is all laid out on the surfaces.

post-1-0-15684000-1411778631_thumb.jpg

Mike Anderson

post-1-0-29313400-1411778672_thumb.jpeg

RastOrder cart with cover

post-1-0-62938600-1411778707_thumb.jpg

Chinhda cart with cover

But Magliner carts (unless they have big "back shelves" on the top shelf) can be easily fit with BBQ covers and are the right shape for a baggit (which I will admit is kind of a low-class way to go).   I'd recommend a cover made of tough but thin material so it can live folded up on the cart on days where it's not raining but just threatening, close at hand.  Years ago my wife made me a great cover for my Skyline vertical cart out of ripstop that could fold up and be strapped to the cart handle, ready to go.   These days I bungie the balled-up baggit to the end of the magliner case-hauler on most exterior days.

philp

I'd recommend a cover made of tough but thin material so it can live folded up on the cart on days where it's not raining but just threatening, close at hand.

philp

+1

I use a BBQ cover too that fits just perfect. It didnt last that long (2 years) but at $15 still a no brainer. Specially if you working 2 man crew and dont have a third to run and get the cover for that quick shower thats coming.

Thanks for all the recommendations of a BBQ cover.  That's not what I'm looking for.  They do fine for when you need to cover something and walk away, but what I'm looking for is more of a custom cover.

Jeff and Richard are talking in the lines of what I am looking for.  This cover needs to be able to be used while working if needed.  Flaps, roll up sides, velcro ports for antenna masts, and umbrella mounts, etc.  So yes, I will be heading to a boat shop or perhaps MTO Unlimited (thanks for that referral). 

Thanks,

PWP

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the recommendations of a BBQ cover.  That's not what I'm looking for.  They do fine for when you need to cover something and walk away, but what I'm looking for is more of a custom cover.

Jeff and Richard are talking in the lines of what I am looking for.  This cover needs to be able to be used while working if needed.  Flaps, roll up sides, velcro ports for antenna masts, and umbrella mounts, etc.  So yes, I will be heading to a boat shop or perhaps MTO Unlimited (thanks for that referral). 

Thanks,

PWP

I have the chinhda cover pictured above.  what is not apparent from the photograph:  there are four zippers at each corner,  so that you can selectively have access to any side.  there is a velcroed slot on top for access to the boom pole storage points. I think the material  is also used for automobile and boat convertible tops.  the cover has saved my bacon from rain and snow, and most recently,  dust on the prairies. 

Just a final pitch on Susan Ottalini, she came down to my set and measured the entire cart and we discussed my needs, in regards to custom flaps, opening etc. I don't think she'll make the trip to N.M where you currently are, Phil. But once back in L.A, its worth it for you to let her at least take a look, measure and give you a quote - her costs are far more inexpensive than you would think. Good quality and she'll even make changes or repairs if needed for free!

I just now saw this thread...

Phil - I have seen some awesome custom covers made for large mechanic carts on the Nascar circuit. 

These are very much the size of your, and many of our colleagues', SKB-ish style soundcarts

Every team seems to have a couple of them - very robust waterproof cordura-like with the big sturdy zippers.

Though you might have good direction already, they are worth a little investigation as a possible alternative.

Good luck on the final finish - looking forward to pictures!

MF

I just now saw this thread...

Phil - I have seen some awesome custom covers made for large mechanic carts on the Nascar circuit.

These are very much the size of your, and many of our colleagues', SKB-ish style soundcarts

Every team seems to have a couple of them - very robust waterproof cordura-like with the big sturdy zippers.

Though you might have good direction already, they are worth a little investigation as a possible alternative.

Good luck on the final finish - looking forward to pictures!

MF

Mike,

You wouldn't happen to know any contact info for the creators of these fabulous covers?

• 2 weeks later...