How do I upgrade Nomad's linux processor?

bendybones

Thank goodness for Jack. I think anyone who has been a member for more than say, six months and has say, more than 20 posts already knows about "contact the manufacture or usual suspects". Maybe there should be a pop up message that reveals itself once members hit "send" that states: are you sure you want to post this? Have you thought of contacting the manufacturer or usual suspects yet? Often that is the best way to immediately solve queries. If you are still sure you would like to post hit "send" now.

These suspects/ manufacturer posts are getting tiresome.

I have a suggestion, maybe by decree, it should be agreed that the "contact the manufacture/ suspects" type advice should be PM'd directly to the inquirer. Spare us all the monotony of reading it over and over again. Sorry, it just feels like a heavy % of threads end up with this. We get it already. My two cents.

Maybe a better way to ask your initial question is: "I'm in Ireland and it's already Friday evening in the states, so I can't call Zaxcom to get the answer for this question, and it's not in the manual." If people don't know more of the facts, they don't know your situation.

I would agree that Zaxcom should put this information in an appendix at the back of the manual. 

Maybe a better way to ask your initial question is: "I'm in Ireland and it's already Friday evening in the states, so I can't call Zaxcom to get the answer for this question, and it's not in the manual." If people don't know more of the facts, they don't know your situation.

I would agree that Zaxcom should put this information in an appendix at the back of the manual.

The information required is on the Zaxcom user forum. However, this once again highlights the fact that many pertinent bits of info regarding Zax gear are currently spread over different internet forums and missing from both the website and the product manuals. Zaxcom would do well to try and consolidate this stuff. Half the discussions we seem to have on Zaxcom kit revolve around 'I've been told' 'I read somewhere' 'He said' 'She said' kind of thing. I don't think they are entirely alone in this as manufacturers though.

Thank goodness for Jack. I think anyone who has been a member for more than say, six months and has say, more than 20 posts already knows about "contact the manufacture or usual suspects".

And yet we keep getting the same type of questions over and over again, which are as repetitive as Senator's replies.

Also, the bickering and complaining about Senator's replies fills up almost as much space as his replies and is no more pleasant to read

Insert the card into the micro SD slot. Power up and wait about 3 minutes. Power down remove the card. Power up and check the usb page and the sof tware date should be December 21.

Done.

Is it just me or is that a bit out there as an upgrade process? I'll have some of whatever Zaxcom are smoking...

This pretty much sums it up... In the internet age... a few words can lead to very little understanding of the actual situation..... Sometimes you need to take a moment and spell out your situation just a bit. Better understanding by those reading can remove all sorts of thoughts about not doing all one can in advance of the actual post.

Glad he got it sorted out....  Knowing Jack is a ZAX guy here on the forum, maybe send him a quick message... He seems to be an un official ZAX guru...  LOL

Bingo.

Well, I'm glad that the upgrade process was fast, simple and painless, and that you were able to get it done. Great reminder that Jack is a great resource for everything Zaxcom. :)

Is it just me or is that a bit out there as an upgrade process? I'll have some of whatever Zaxcom are smoking...

Getting the posted out mini-sd was the easy way. Most of us bought our own and had to burn the update software onto it using the command line on our computers. Now THAT is scary. You get it wrong and you wipe your entire drive!

the bickering and complaining about Senator's replies fills up almost as much space as his replies and is no more pleasant to read

Ignoring these posts is the best you and everyone can do. Reacting and replying to these posts is just offering him an excuse to post more. This great forum also provides a setting that hides all posts by a member you put on your ignore list. Quite useful.

Is it just me or is that a bit out there as an upgrade process?

Not exactaly sure what you are asking about. This is the procedure for updating the Linux software - upon power up the linux processor will automatically read the software off the card.

To upgrade a Nomad Lite or 10 to a 12 involves installing the Linux board which requires a trip back to the mother ship.

The information required is on the Zaxcom user forum. However, this once again highlights the fact that many pertinent bits of info regarding Zax gear are currently spread over different internet forums and missing from both the website and the product manuals. Zaxcom would do well to try and consolidate this stuff. Half the discussions we seem to have on Zaxcom kit revolve around 'I've been told' 'I read somewhere' 'He said' 'She said' kind of thing. I don't think they are entirely alone in this as manufacturers though.

I don't mean to nitpick Zaxcom -- this is a problem with many small companies that they have a tendency to not put firmware update information and error message information in their manuals. The machine comes up and says "Error: XYZ123," and you go, "what the hell is that?" If we had some vague clue, like "I/O error" or "media error," we could maybe sorta/kinda make a diagnosis. 

It would also be really nice if all the companies that manufactured upgradeable products (especially software-controlled mixers and recorders) would email all registered users and say, "hey! There's a software update available!" Half the time, people only find out about it when somebody mentions it in passing on a user discussion group like this.

I don't mean to nitpick Zaxcom -- this is a problem with many small companies that they have a tendency to not put firmware update information and error message information in their manuals. The machine comes up and says "Error: XYZ123," and you go, "what the hell is that?" If we had some vague clue, like "I/O error" or "media error," we could maybe sorta/kinda make a diagnosis. 

It would also be really nice if all the companies that manufactured upgradeable products (especially software-controlled mixers and recorders) would email all registered users and say, "hey! There's a software update available!" Half the time, people only find out about it when somebody mentions it in passing on a user discussion group like this.

Good point about letting people know about updates.  At one time, a regular email blast was in the works for Zaxcom.  I don't know if that's still under consideration, or not. 

As far as firmware updating instructions, Zaxcom actually scores well in this department.  With each firmware package, step-by-step instructions are enclosed.  Sometimes there is important information in more than one accompanying file, so users need to be diligent, but their instructions are pretty complete these days. 

The update under discussion, is not for firmware, but a one time procedure that earlier units require to enable the Linux processor.  Being a "one time only" procedure -- and new units are now delivered with the feature enabled -- it's a bit more understandable that there's less information disseminated.  (Although, more is typically better than less.)

Will be great feature this:

Connect the recorder to PC or Mac (maybe with Ethernet port; I don't know).

Choose in the menu system on recorder "Firmware update".

"Checking for firmware updates"

"Apply firmware update"

etc

No more downloads to CF or SD or HDD cards/drives. No more extracts. No more copy paste. No more power cycles. Simplicity. Automatically through the website and keep the current workflow as back up.

Will be great feature this:

Connect the recorder to PC or Mac (maybe with Ethernet port; I don't know).

Choose in the menu system on recorder "Firmware update".

"Checking for firmware updates"

"Apply firmware update"

etc

No more downloads to CF or SD or HDD cards/drives. No more extracts. No more copy paste. No more power cycles. Simplicity. Automatically through the website and keep the current workflow as back up.

Absolutelly against this kind of upgrade.

CF cards are great. If stuff craps out in the field I don't want to be looking for a computer with internet connection.