Waiting on sound. . .

Jack Norflus

I've found that the TSA is much better now than when they were formed.  There seems to be a better program in place for proper training. 

Looking at it from the other side of the coin, if a passenger complained to a flight attendant about a "suspicious bag with wires coming out of it" wouldn't they be slack in their duties if they didn't investigate prior to takeoff? 

Several years ago I did some traveling gigs carrying on my entire kit -- camera bag with mixer and the remainder of the gear shared space with my clothes in a (just barely) carry-on sized suitcase.  Airports that had more exposure to media (Las Vegas, LA) seemed to know what things were, whereas, some other airports took a bit more time to explore, but patience and politeness helped things go smoothly. 

Eric, its LAX. The center of the Reality Tv World where hundreds of crews fly in and out of there on a daily basis. I could understand if it was bum f*** Kansas.

I guess "never expect how things will go based on past performance" should not be carved in stone. This was not a TSA situation, it was a passenger on the plane who was concerned about seeing wires sticking out of a bag and notified the authorities.

Eric, its LAX. The center of the Reality Tv World where hundreds of crews fly in and out of there on a daily basis. I could understand if it was bum f*** Kansas.

You mean those backwards, uneducated, hick farmers in Kansas, as opposed to all the sophisticated, enlightened folks who live on the coast?

I travelled across the US for four months recently carrying my Petrol loaded with 633, 411s, SRb, and SMa. We would sometimes shoot soon after arrival so I didnt want to be re-rigging my entire kit. I left connections unplugged and antennae off, but the bag basically wired up.

TSA was a crap shoot, sometimes they'd stop me and swab the kit, sometimes they'd just ask me about it (talking about "the show" would sometimes charm them), and on two occasions, I spent a lot of time waiting while the entire chain of command consulted their literature about whether I could board with the big lithiums (which you can).

Overall, they were cool. I have no complaints. Its just the time we're living in.

best