Mic Technique for Chef Clothing

Tong0615

Just finished a Show for Arte which is about Food and Cooking, We were in different Kitchens in Europe, include the Kitchen of EU Parliament.

I had some problem with the Chef Cloth, it's really dick, and most of them are also very noisy. I tried with Vampier Mount with VT500, some times works, some time not, Moll-skin did not work for me. Sometimes, I hear very a noise from the cloth it self (If i put the mike hired, it's there, but for sure it's not a sound of rubbing, if I put the Mic outside, it's much better).

I am just wondering, the Show like "MasterChef", how did they mount their Mic? I would be happy and thankful for every tips and tricks. Thanks.

Some chef jackets have removable black buttons.  These buttons sometimes can look pretty much like a sanken COS_11 large windscreen.  Remove the button, exchange it with a COS-11 and unless your looking for it, it is pretty much hidden in plain site.  Or do white COS-11s thru button holes.

Some chef jackets have removable black buttons. These buttons sometimes can look pretty much like a sanken COS_11 large windscreen. Remove the button, exchange it with a COS-11 and unless your looking for it, it is pretty much hidden in plain site. Or do white COS-11s thru button holes.

Exactly that. There is no other way with the difficult fabrics. Get yourself some joe's sticky stuff to hold it in place too.

I've miced chefs on a feature and a food show, using COS-11s ( Black & White ) wrapped in Joe's sticky staff, poking either behind the button or gently sideways in plain sight with excellent results.
On the feature, both director and DOP could not find out where the mic was rigged.
Food related shoots are most of the times shot in kitchen areas which are usually enclosed ( no wind issues ).

::)

white lav mic, visible.

Took the words out of my mouth. I did a cooking documentary a couple of years ago, and the director adamantly insisted on hiding the lavs on the chefs and assistants. I fitted the chef with a white lav and had the director inspect it, and was relieved when he admitted it was "nearly invisible" from 6 feet away. And it sounded far better than a hidden lav. 

This was just a white Tram with a standard clip, nothing special. Sounded fantastic on both people, and the director complimented me at the end of the shoot. Only problem we had was whenever they walked into the giant freezer, which was solid metal and you couldn't get a wireless signal out beyond five feet.