With ‘Crouching Tiger’ Sequel, Netflix Takes Aim at Hollywood

VASI

In a first deal of its kind, Netflix and the Weinstein Company said Monday that they planned to release next year’s sequel to the movie “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” simultaneously across the globe on Netflix and a select number of Imax theaters.

The film, a follow-up to Ang Lee’s Academy Award-winning martial arts drama, is the first major motion picture to make its debut on the streaming service and in movie theaters at the same time. It will be available on Aug. 28 at no additional fee to Netflix subscribers and is the first of several films that Netflix is backing that will follow this new model for release. Only Imax is involved; other theater chains will not screen the film.

Ted Sarandos, chief content officer at Netflix, said he hoped this deal would show Hollywood that the time had come to respond to what movie fans wanted, and to change the traditional method for releasing films — first in theaters then, typically several months later, for streaming.

“What I am hoping is that it will be a proof point that the sky doesn’t fall,” Mr. Sarandos said. “These are two different experiences, like going to a football game and watching a football game on TV.”

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/business/media/with-crouching-tiger-sequel-netflix-takes-aim-at-hollywood.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSumSmallMediaHigh&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

I did not foresee a sequel to Crouching Tiger... As one of my favorite movies of all time, all I can hope for is that it's half as good as the first.  And also, I imagine that it will be a much better experience in an IMAX theater.  As far as movies to choose to release on Netflix simultaneously with a theatrical release, this is an odd choice IMO.  There are many genres of movies that I can easily skip seeing in theaters and enjoy at home, but a Crouching Tiger sequel doesn't seem like one of them. 

Either way, I haven't been this excited for a movie in a long time.  Can't wait.

I don't know if this disrupts anything per say. If Netflix is backing it, they can do whatever they want, and the financial situation is different because Netflix can chalk it up to maintaining happy subscribers, like HBO originals. The only announced way to see this film is via your Netflix subscription, or in IMAX. It's not also on cable TV On-Demand and Redbox. 

I just had to look, but there are DVD versions of House of Cards, and Orange is the new Black, for sale on DVD. I wonder if they came out the same day as the series premiered on Netflix?