Best lav as plant mic

foliver

The CUB is not a lav.

Of course you are right Jeff. Nevertheless, I think the OP might find it suitable as a plant mic in many situations.

I have used COS11D as plant mics in cars, on tables under/at the edge of table cloth etc

Even on a casket for an exterior funeral scene. All with decent results.

But everything is relative.

I love planting mics, a schoeps with the active cable sounds best of course but the best lav I think is the DPA 4080. The problem with other lavs is they're omni directional so once you start getting any distance you get that 'thinner' sound you're talking about. The DPA 4080 is more cardioid in pick up so doesn't sound as 'thin'. It's a 4060 with a tube. Best plant lav I have.

Cheers.

Commercial boundary layer mics just carry this to an extreme and get the diaphragm even closer to the surface, eliminating comb filter effects into the Bruce Wayne as sound mixer range.

Took me 30 seconds, but I eventually got it. Actually, Bruce Wayne sounded normal; Batman had about +20db at 80Hz added to his voice. Sounded like a Subharmonic Synthesizer on Steroids (SSOS). 

I sometimes use a DPA 4060 as a plant. They sound great and do have enough bass to play with. Remember there are some small DPAs that are created for instruments with a BIG frequency range, thus giving you a more rounded response without the tweak for dialogue.

Also, you can get the BLM6000 adapter from DPA, and convert it into a very flat boundary (as per Larry's post) very quickly and effectively. Also because it is rubber, it stops all does annoying mechanical noises that you get when mounting on a table or similar surface.

Me too!

But we still buy Schoeps and DPAs and Sennheisers in greater numbers than Rodes and Octavas, even though I doubt anyone could watch a movie or TV and tell what was recorded with what.

Hopefully we're all striving for the best result, knowing that what we turn in is as good as possible.

RE:  The Christian Bale Batman voice.

I was convinced when I saw The Dark Knight a few years ago, somebody had screwed up and mixed all of Batman's dialogue through the subwoofer alone and forgot the center channel. It was a very odd choice. In the last movie, Dark Knight Rises, it sounded a little better but not a lot. My guess is that Batman's mask has a built-in subharmonic synthesizer to add a "coolness" effect.