DC Power Cable

osa

I repaired a power cable with a busted 4 pin XLR cable for a friend of mine. It was made from Canare L-4E5C. Both blues to pin 1 and both whites to pin 4. all shielding stripped back at the connector. First time I've ever seen Canare cable like that used for power applications but I've never paid much attention to power connections. Is L-4E5C cable commonly used and/or suitable for DC power cabling? All DC Cables I have repaired were single cable 2 conductor red/white no shield cables. Curious to know if thinner cables like redco TGS-1 or Mogami W2697 can be used for lightweight DC connection applications?

Ken 

I repaired a power cable with a busted 4 pin XLR cable for a friend of mine. It was made from Canare L-4E5C. Both blues to pin 1 and both whites to pin 4. all shielding stripped back at the connector. First time I've ever seen Canare cable like that used for power applications but I've never paid much attention to power connections. Is L-4E5C cable commonly used and/or suitable for DC power cabling? All DC Cables I have repaired were single cable 2 conductor red/white no shield cables. Curious to know if thinner cables like redco TGS-1 or Mogami W2697 can be used for lightweight DC connection applications?

Ken

The Canare star quad will be fine for 12vdc feeds. I would hesitate to use the TGS-1. 18 or 22 gauge zip cord does the job very well also with 12vdc feeds.

I've used Canare Mic cable for dc power cables. Usually when Hirose 4-pin connectors are involved. The advantage is the conductors actually fit in the solder cups (larger gauge won't) and the outer diameter of the overall cable is a good match for the strain relief system in those connectors. Otherwise you have to pile on shrink tubing to zip cord which can be a mess and is hard to get just right.

I've used Canare Mic cable for dc power cables. Usually when Hirose 4-pin connectors are involved. The advantage is the conductors actually fit in the solder cups (larger gauge won't) and the outer diameter of the overall cable is a good match for the strain relief system in those connectors. Otherwise you have to pile on shrink tubing to zip cord which can be a mess and is hard to get just right.

I can see your point, but Hirose connectors are usually used in a bag, which is an environment with a lot of quishing of things into little spaces.  I'd be worried about shorts.  But if it has worked for you so far...