"Japan leads push for high-res audio"

OmahaAudio

Sounds like a big gamble for Sony. The original Walkman was a huge, expensive gamble for them too, and look what happened with that. Is this a case of sizzle over steak? We'll see. Time to get those "High Def Audio" stickers out, stick 'em on my FP33 and raise my rates. I smell a Rube coming.

This is industry wide.

http://hometheaterreview.com/agreement-reached-for-hi-res-audio/

Products that meet an extended list of quality and feature specifications can display the Hi-Res audio logo on their marketing and product.

TASCAM 's DR-22WL and DR-44WL, US-2x2 and US-4x4 are our first products under this new category, which makes it easy for end users to determine whether a product fits their needs.

Tom, the published specs for the 2x2 line out are indeed worthy: at 96k/24b sampling, -0.2 dB up to 40kHz., .003% THD, -95 dB crostalk and -101 dB other noise (well, those last three are ~17 bit performance).

But with pages of specs on your site, there's nothing about response or THD+N for recording. Can you tell us how the mic pre and ADC performs?

Looks like the translation is missing some detail.   Those figures are combined analog in -> analog out.

All our specs are measured/published to JEITA standards.

From the tascam.jp webpage:

THD 0.003%  Mic/Line IN -> LINE OUT, 1kHz, reference input, max output

S/N 101dB MIC/LINE IN -> LINE OUT, Gain Min

Crosstalk 95dB MIC/LINE IN -> LINE OUT, 1kHz

- Tom (TASCAM)