Panasonic Eneloop (4th generation)

RadoStefanov

Second pass delivered 2396 mAh (vs 2371), 2447 (vs 2430), 2464 (vs 2446) and 2473 (vs 2471). That's a 1% difference or less from the first charge discharge cycle. My guess is that any further improvement will be minuscule. I'll charge them over the weekend at a lower rate and then discharge them at the same 500 mAh rate but I expect these are final numbers.

In sum, these Eneloops meet their specifications easily, unlike every other NiMh I've tested. YMMV.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Larry

What charger are you using for these?

Regards

John

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry,

I do not understand how these battery work. Is it possible for a battery to perform longer even if the MAH value is lower?

As I mentioned with powerex I have sudden drop after 30 minutes 1 hour while the Panasonic Pro have consistent decrease and seam to last longer. 

Another curios factor is my latest batch of 8 powerex 2700MAH started loosing MAH a lot faster then my old ones. From aproximatelly 2590 mah to 2300 mah in only 4 months of use.

Thank You

Larry

What charger are you using for these?

Regards

John

Hi Jack,

It is an Opus BT-C2000. Here's an Amazon link with specifications:

http://www.amazon.com/BT-C2000-charger-set-100-240V-Battery-Analyzer-Portable/dp/B00JL3XL2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413210317&sr=8-1&keywords=opus+bt-c2000

What I like about the charger is that you can set functions and rates as a group. Plus the menu is easy to use without reading the manual, the mark of a real man. The Maha that we've used in the past is a Nerd's Nightmare. Every battery function has to be set, one at a time. The Maha is ultimately the more flexible charger but somebody had their head up and locked when they did the menu.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Hi Rado,

Answers mixed within your post. Some of this is "IMHO" formed with only a few tests.

Rado: I do not understand how these battery work. Is it possible for a battery to perform longer even if the MAH value is lower?

LEF: Remember that capacities are set by the Sales Departments. Bigger numbers sell more batteries. "Hmmm, What shall we do?"

Rado:As I mentioned with powerex I have sudden drop after 30 minutes 1 hour while the Panasonic Pro have consistent decrease and seam to last longer.

LEF: Panasonic is probably one of the best battery manufacturers. We've used Panasonic batteries in various products for 20 years after extensive shootouts, though they were never the cheapest.

Rado: Another curios factor is my latest batch of 8 powerex 2700MAH started loosing MAH a lot faster then my old ones. From aproximatelly 2590 mah to 2300 mah in only 4 months of use.

LEF: My tests of PowerEx in the past gave results that were inconsistent. High capacity batteries are fragile. Various compromises have to be made to get more capacity at a given level of development and this impacts life and long term stability. Our tests have shown high capacity batteries rarely are high capacity and they seem to wear out quickly.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Third pass at reduced 400mA charge rate instead of previous 1000mA with the batteries left on the charger over the weekend:

2418 mAh (vs 2371 & 2396), 2470 (vs 2430 & 2447), 2485 (vs 2446 & 2464) and 2494 (vs 2471 & 2473).

Tiny changes maybe due to the fact cool batteries will accept more charge than warm batteries. Next I'll try a Maha charger on the same batteries.

LEF

Here is the fourth pass, using the Maha charger at 1000 mAh and still using the Opus unit at 500 mAh for discharge measurements. That way the discharge measurements are apples to apples with the question posited being, does the Maha charger charge better than the Opus?

The fourth pass numbers are: 2377mAh (vs 2418 & 2371 & 2396), 2385 (vs 2470 & 2430 & 2447), 2412 (vs 2485 & 2446 & 2464) and 2428 (vs  2494 & 2471 & 2473).  This is about 2.5% lower than the previous values from the Opus BT-2000. This is not really meaningful but does show that the Opus is at least as capable as the Maha charger, which has a good reputation among users.

The real main point of all this is that the low discharge batteries from Eneloop (Sanyo-Panasonic) meet their specs, don't have to be cycled to get to full capacity out of the box and now have capacities similar to premium "high capacity" batteries with fewer of their shortcomings.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics 

The fifth pass is just a reality check. This switched the order of the charger setup used in the fourth pass. The batteries were charged with the Opus and discharged with the Maha just to see how close the discharge measurements are. So Maha discharge vs Opus discharge:  2430  vs 2395 , 2448 vs 2449, 2465 vs 2450, and  2479 vs 2470. (I averaged the three Opus discharges to one number since they were close together.)

These discharge numbers between the two chargers are different by 1.5%, 0.04%, 0.6% and 0.36%. 

The two conclusions: The two different chargers are very close in performance and measurements. The Eneloop batteries don't need charge-discharge conditioning out of the package. 

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for these very useful tests and informations.

To add some information, mine is still a Sanyo brand Eneloops, HR-3UWXB 2450mAh (I think this is the 3rd gen. as Sanyo has been acquired by Panasonic recently). From my experience, it doesn't keep its capacity so long as indicated on the package, rather worse than white 2000mAh "standard" Eneloop. Probably due to its high capacity, condenced cell structure.

I have not tested precisely but the voltage falls rapidly after left from the charger, like two days after or so.

I also need a serious test but with my TRX900LT, it last longer than Sanyo's 2700mAh (HR-3U) high capacity battery probably because of its better voltage curve.

Also I think its lifetime is shorter than it indicated, mine has last less than 500 times of recharge (but well I never counted how many times I discharge/recharged of course). It is also due to our TX's high current discharge process.

(Sorry Senator and folks, for this vaguely estimate information, but from my on set experience)

Masaki

Slightly off topic, but I always wondered what a charge cycle implied. Does it mean completely full to completely empty? Or does a charge from let's say 90% because of storage/shelf, back to full also counts as a cycle, therefore a full count deducted from the aprox life estimate.

I have not tested precisely but the voltage falls rapidly after left from the charger, like two days after or so.

I also need a serious test but with my TRX900LT, it last longer than Sanyo's 2700mAh (HR-3U) high capacity battery probably because of its better voltage curve.

Masaki

thats my experience too! Started another shoot with eneloops charged 2-3 days before and the TRXs would start at battery "6" rather than "9" (full). When charging overnight and using them on the day it´s all good.

MR: " When charging overnight and using them on the day it´s all good. "

that is what I do with my regular (non-eneloop) NiMH's, and I get more capacity for the $.

This is what is recommended for non LSD (Low Self-Discharge) type of NiMH batteries due to its high self-discharge rate, which needs trickle charge after have been full charged. But needless to say, that's the point where Eneloop has or may have its advantage.

By the way, though the number of mAh is important, Eneloop pro's discharge curve is very good at high current. So it drives way longer than other high capacity batteries (in my case Sanyo's 2700mAh (HR-3U)

• 2 weeks later...

I am done with powerex. I hate the fact that I have to constantly charge them. Pana pro work great after a week of storing..

My powerex 2700mah work fantastic, they can get through a full doc day if I manage my trx's well.

They do not hold their shelf life but they aren't designed this way, the Imedion brand of power ex which are 2400mah have amazing shelf life, or at least that's what I find anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk