Props to your boom operators

John Coffey

The recent thread on boom operators got me thinking, as I've always had a special affinity to them as the unsung heros on the sets. Maybe because I was a way better boom operator myself than I ever was as a mixer. I loved the challenge it took to get an open mic overhead through a matrix of lights and admired the best ones I worked with. Like Tim Salmon, Beau Baker and Don Coufal.

So I'd love to see some pics posted here of your boom operators in action.

ps. Jeff, I would also suggest that your great site have a forum section maybe called Boom Operator's Chat.

John Coffey

The recent thread on boom operators got me thinking, as I've always had a special affinity to them as the unsung heros on the sets. Maybe because I was a way better boom operator myself than I ever was as a mixer. I loved the challenge it took to get an open mic overhead through a matrix of lights and admired the best ones I worked with. Like Tim Salmon, Beau Baker and Don Coufal.

So I'd love to see some pics posted here of your boom operators in action.

ps. Jeff, I would also suggest that your great site have a forum section maybe called Boom Operator's Chat.

John Coffey

I agree J C. I still think of myself as a 20- 30 something year old boom op.  Crazy.   As a mixer of 26 years, I rely and count on the front line pro I work with, aka the Boom Op,  to run the show. They are the 1st to hear it, 1st to know if it works. Personally as a team member, I love the Zen skills the boom op brings to the show.

CrewC

I agree J C. I still think of myself as a 20- 30 something year old boom op.  Crazy.   As a mixer of 26 years, I rely and count on the front line pro I work with, aka the Boom Op,  to run the show. They are the 1st to hear it, 1st to know if it works. Personally as a team member, I love the Zen skills the boom op brings to the show.

CrewC

You were a great Boom Operator, Crew (I know that working with me and Don your skills were under-utilized, sorry) and as per another topic here I think it has made you a better Mixer. I wish I could say that I thought of myself as a once great Boom Operator but this is so absolutely not the case. Every day of my career I am humbled and grateful, knowing that I could never have achieved any real success as a Mixer without the incredible contributions of the great Boom Operators I have worked with. I knew early on that boom operating was something I would not be very good at and this was at a time when you could just show up and say "I'm the Sound Mixer" and you might get away with it. I did get away with it --- I'm in my 46th year working as a Sound Mixer, thanks in no small part to Don Coufal and you.

You're too kind JW. 

I would always recommend to those starting a sound career, to go the old school route to becoming a mixer by being a 2nd boom, then 1st boom before moving up to mixing. All our jobs are demanding/rewarding when done as a team. You will learn a lot.

Having stated that, some of the best "Mixers" I've known and boomed for never really boomed at all. Jeff Wexler, Jim Webb, RVD MXR, Waco Bill Macpherson, and I'm sure many others, they made it happen, so it can be done. I think the key to becoming good at your craft is knowing as much as possible about the art form of film in as many of it's aspects as possible. To be a Film Maker in your department's job. Jeff, Jim, Rich, Bill, they give their all because it means something to them to be a part of the larger effort.

Back to boom ops...

"they give their all because it means something to them to be a part of the larger effort."

This is the common thread I see in the Boom Operators of Unusual Zen Skills, they could certainly mix better than many, but for good reason decide to boom as a career choice. They like/get making movies at every point in it's creation. They love the front line, having a direct hand in the creation/ballet that is the nuts & bolts of filmmaking. hearing it first, being a part of the performance, being witness to great performances.... So rewarding when done well by all. It makes sense to me a a career. To me, my crew is what I am. It's not about me. It is us. Viva Boom Ops.

CrewC