Bad Frequency Blocks In Rochester, NY

andstrumental

Myth

I have to agree with the senator - I've traveled to pretty much every state and quite a bit internationally. And I have a never had a problem finding a few usable frequencies regardless of where I am. Granted I am not looking for that many frequencies but I find it hard to beleive that someone couldn't find something usable in any given block regardless of where you are.

yes some blocks will have more open frequencies than others but unless you are looking for a lot of frequencies you will be fine.

No disrespect meant Jack ( and Senny ) but I have had times, in cities in many parts of the world ,when finding even one working channel ( meaning at a range more than 10 feet ) has not been possible in a particular block.  Yes, it is the rare day but it is not unheard of for many of us and I have grown tired of the myth that this is simply untrue. This is why I travel with 4 different blocks of stuff. It has gotten tricky out there for those of us who spend a great deal of time on the road and I wish everyone the best.  Talk to some of the UK mixers that I work with over there and they too will tell you that stuff can sometimes be really blocked on the rare day, when you are dealing with only 2 legal block options, 26 and 606 after ch69 went away. I think it is fine to ask here what works and what does not in certain areas without simply dismissing the question at hand with a blanket statement.

cK: " stuff can sometimes be really blocked on the rare day, "

but that is dependent on the time and exact location, and would vary hugely in and around  "Rochester, NY". from place to place, and from time to time.

of course it is a good idea to start by looking at the licensed* TV broadcasters in any region you may be heading into, but that is only a small part of the total interference picture one would encounter.

* there are numerous ways to check this information on-line...

cK: " stuff can sometimes be really blocked on the rare day, "

but that is dependent on the time and exact location, and would vary hugely in and around  "Rochester, NY". from place to place, and from time to time.

I agree, I just don't think you can continue to say as a blanket statement that you can alway find usable channels, it is not true. 

but I have had times, in cities in many parts of the world ,when finding even one working channel ( meaning at a range more than 10 feet ) has not been possible in a particular block. 

Using professional wireless?

I don't doubt you but within a given lectro block you have some where in the neighborhood of 256 frequencies to choose from.

After a scan I have had it that every frequency had some gak on it but I choose a frequency with the least amount of pixels and I have been able to get the job done. I wouldn't expect a 1/4 mile of range but enough range to make it work. And if you reposition you antennas I'm sure you can make a block work anywhere.

I too carry multiple blocks of lectro and a few wide band Zax stuff so im not caught with my pants down - but that is what you need to do as a professional. 

I am looking for blocks with known issues in Rochester. If I was asked this question about the Bay Area, I would advise against using block 24 and 25 and suggest 20 or 26 as the cleanest blocks for this area. We all know things are not this simple, but generalities about the rf environment from on the ground experience helps. Any rf info from mixers who have worked in Rochester (like Tom's comment above) is appreciated.

thank you, 

Andy 

I am looking for blocks with known issues in Rochester. If I was asked this question about the Bay Area, I would advise against using block 24 and 25 and suggest 20 or 26 as the cleanest blocks for this area. We all know things are not this simple, but generalities about the rf environment from on the ground experience helps. Any rf info from mixers who have worked in Rochester (like Tom's comment above) is appreciated.

thank you,

Andy

Blocks 20 and 26... Thanks for the SF Bay Area tip Andy. I'm on 19 and 22 and doing ok.

For travel, I've been referring to this chart by Lectrosonics:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/images/PDFs/RF-Analysis.pdf

It's worth studying , but I know there's some sophisticated apps available to search and try to discover the clear airways. I have one called FreqFinder on my phone , but I haven't figured out how to use it very well. The one thing that I have figured out: TVBD s suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk