Yosemite

S Harber

Richard - from Audinate site:

OS X 10.10 Yosemite: Dante Compatibility

yosemite.png

OS X 10.10 Yosemite is currently NOT supported by Dante Controller or Dante Virtual Soundcard.

If you upgrade your system to OS X 10.10, these Dante applications will not function correctly.

We will update this page as and when we complete development and testing to implement support for OS X 10.10.

Regarding ProTools:

- from ProTools Expert site

Community member Steven Thompson took his life in his hands and installed the next version of Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite on his Mac to see how Pro Tools would perform.

Steven Thompson's initial report:

I am happy to report that my initial test run with OS X 10.10 Yosemite was a success.
Pro Tools opened without a problem. All of my plug-ins seem to be working as they’re intended. The only thing that I’ve noticed is some of the playback engine and hardware settings went awry. Almost as if the .plist file got changed. This, of course, was easily fixed by changing the settings back to what they were pre-Yosemite. It is also possible that these issues were unique to my experience.

This seems very promising since we usually have to wait some time for Avid to approve a new operating system.

I'm seeing lots of reports of it working well with PT. Some graphical glitches like the menus being greyed out until you hover over them, but not to major. I might give it a try on my macbook air, which I don't use pt on very often, so not a problem if it's buggy. I always keep a bootable backup of my system drives, so I can easily revert if it doesn't work.

Installed it day it came out to test. I have an image of my drive ready to go so I thought why not try it.

Love the new UI, there are MANY improvements on safari and spotlight, and new things like continuity. Very awesome.

I've been experiencing some bugs related to keychain. Pro Tools 10 and 11 opened fine for me, no visual bugs, but I am experiencing some playback engine issues. I think I will try a fresh install of everything to see whether it behaves any differently.

I barely use my computer, as I don't do post anymore, and most of my web traffic is done on my phone. Maybe hold off updating your OS if you use your computer for actual work.

I've been an early beta tester on all the os X releases, and on this one.

in running it on my laptop (macbook pro) the only thing I've noticed in the final release is that my computer fails to wake from sleep properly when I've shut the lid because I'm booted to an expressCard ssd which is ejected when I shut the lid.

other than that it seems like a version that is ready to update to. 

functionality wise and bug-wise, it's ready.

a full features list is available online.

People are saying that Yosemite is working with Pro-Tools, but no one has mentioned which version they are running. I am currently running Pro-Tools 10, and haven't made the upgrade to 11 because frankly there are a couple of changes that they made that I am not fond of, and I don't use Pro-Tools these days enough to justify the cost. However, with a new OS out every 6 months, things like internet plug-ins start to become obsolete relatively fast, so if I want to continue to browse the internet I have to make the upgrades. Yet, when I do meet to run Pro-Tools, it does need to work. I know that a pro studio would leave a computer installed "as is" once it has reached its optimal setup without a connection to the internet to mess things up, which is fine and dandy, but I only have one computer so this isn't an option for me.

Hey Christian, on which Mac model/year are you seeing these performance improvements?

Sorry for the late reply, Johnny. Macbook Pro 2011,  4 GB RAM, 2,4 GHz i5. A great deal faster than Mavericks. On my Mac Mini 2,5 GHz I had Mountain Lion before and now the startup time is quite a bit longer. Hoping to get that straightened out somehow. But in general I have a good impression of Yosemite.

A couple days ago, I updated a late 2008 MacBook Pro (the one I'm typing on right now) from Mavericks to Yosemite. Fairly smooth sailing. Overall, things feel a little peppier. No big software conflicts that I've noticed. I'm not running Pro Tools or Media Composer on this machine, but have fired up some other hefty apps.

A couple weird UX changes took some getting used to and Apple Mail required a couple Google searches to get back to what I'm used to (odd that my biggest issue is with an Apple app).

But ya, things do feel a bit more peppy overall. I am, however, still holding off on updating my main production machines.

So..... According to a bit more than rumors, Apple has put a landmine in Yosemite, that will make your Mac unusable if you have a 3rd party SSD with "Trim" engaged, if you upgrade to Yosemite.  Any thoughts?

http://www.zdnet.com/yosemite-kills-third-party-ssd-support-7000035765/

Yes. There is a very knowledgeable explanation (I will look for the link again) of the incompatibilities of 3rd party utilities, firmware and TRIM associated with SSDs. Yosemite is not the first operating system to have messed with SSD support nor is it the first OS from Apple to have had this problem. There are some very easy workarounds.