Let's Party like its 1999? What did they use back then?

Del Sound

In 1999, I was using a Fostex PD2 and Sennheiser 816 or a 416. The wireless I used was fixed frequency Lectrosonic 205s. I still have a working Fostex PD2 (I will admit the eject mechanism is a a little goofy)...if you really want it, I'd be happy to sell it to you. Good luck on finding DAT tape for it, though.

In 1999, I was using a Fostex PD2 and Sennheiser 816 or a 416. The wireless I used was fixed frequency Lectrosonic 205s. I still have a working Fostex PD2 (I will admit the eject mechanism is a a little goofy)...if you really want it, I'd be happy to sell it to you. Good luck on finding DAT tape for it, though.

Probably 195's? The 205 series were rotary switch selectable 256 frequencies in 100 kHz steps.

LEF

Del: "  The director is a Grammy winning studio ace, so he might be pickier about his sound "

then he will completely understand tweaking it in post!

I think if you're going for that vintage sound, the best place to start is use period appropriate mics. "

I don't think so...

" Does anyone know what model Schoeps were popular for TV back then?"

yes, we do

" I think the Schoeps lineup has progressed several times since then. "

not really

" And we're shooting on Red Scarlet instead of 35mm, so maybe the commitment to period only extends to in front of the camera.   "

it would seem...

and the images can be tweaked in post, just like the sound can be tweaked...

Jim: " The right mixer could play a role. "

highly dubious...

There were very few cameras playing a major role in the TV world of 1999:

Arri 16SR3 (doc, tv movies, series)

Sony BVW-300/400 (Betacam SP, for news)

Sony DVW-900 (Digital Betacam, for doc, news)

and some extremely heavy camera with docking recorder solutions (Sony, Ikegami)

• 2 months later...

I'm sure the wave has passed but here goes:

In 1999 I was using

Schoeps MK41 or Sennheiser 416 (T power) ...and still use them 99%of the time.

My radios were Cetek Vega fixed Travellers (4 of them) and 2 Audio Limited RM2000s (you had your choice of 2 frequencies, wow!) with TRAMS.

Mixer (still use) Sonosax SX-S 6 channel.

Recorders 2 Stellavox SP8s with stereo headstacks - fed by external TC generator (custom modded Deneke TC box).

Either on my cart (which I still use 25 years later - nice design job, Tony), one of the first flight case based carts...now it seems heavier than hell but I carried everything but the kitchen sink in the 2 stacked cases (see my webpage) or using one of the Stellavoxes with the Audio Limiteds for "bag based" recording.

Great Sennheiser article, Dejan -- thanks for sharing it.

I don't see the point why they want Vintage Sound with a Red Scarlet...

They'll no doubt add simulated film grain in the final post for that "vintage" look. Believe me, there's a lot of people adding film grain to digitally-shot material these days.