664 vs. 788t

maxmartinezj

For me, I much prefer the 788T. I am mostly cart based and coupled with the CL-9 and a keyboard this is a very convenient setup with the shortest signal path (as opposed to using a full mixer with the 664). I have all important menu items defined as shortcuts on my keyboard sio I don't need to delve into the menu much.

I have another 788T with Cl-8 ready to go in a bag. I'll just pull the CF card from the cart one, put into the bag recorder, import settings and am ready to go un seconds. Podt won't even know, as rhe folder and most metadata willbe exactly the same

664 can also add CL6 and become 12 inputs 14 tracks.

...You don't need the CL6 to enable 12track (ISO) mode with firmware 2.02, Philip  ^_^ 

Yes thanks, I know that, but have you done much mixing of 12 inputs on a 664 w/o CL6?  Real knobs are better than menus, and the 7xx style meters of the CL6 rock as do the big fat REC and STOP buttons.

But I do wish the 6xx boxes had C-Link….    And I think that leaving ext clock and mix bus-in off the 633 was a mistake.

philp

Can't comment on the 644... But here's some notes on the 633. (Versus the788t) I was out recording MS stereo fx today using the 633. At one location we are in a vineyard and I am trying to record grape leaves waving in a light breeze. With the 633's trim pots 1 and 2 dialed up to about 3 O'Clock the noise floor is quite noticeable. I dial it back to 1 O'Clock and now I'm ok with the noise level, but levels on the meters are low , -40 ... I'm kind of wishing I had the 788t with me for this- I think I might do better. Another note on doing MS with the 633; there's no width control. To control the perceived width of the stereo perspective I'm adjusting the trim pots of 1 (mid ) and 2 (side) individually.

On the 788t there's a separate control for width of the LR mix, which is better because I can set optimized levels for the iso tracks 1 and 2, and then use the width control to gather various perspectives on the LR tracks.

In a situation with a lot of mics (music) I might really miss this feature .

But today I'm not too bothered by this lack of a separate width control , and I end up just recording the LR tracks and trusting my judgement. There is not a lot at stake here, except for grapes , and all the extra iso tracks that would pile up would just confuse things in post. I want to turn 2 track stereo tracks.

Another gripe about the 633 is remembering to assign ch 4,5,6 to outputs x1 and/or x2.

I've gotten hurried into forgetting that several times now. I'd like to just set x1x2 to parallel XLR outs 1&2. If there's a way to do that please let me know!

The praise that I have for the 633 is that it's saving my back , while offering 6 input channels, and not burning through 4 np1 batts a day. And I've gotten used to it , and I'm using all the time now. So I love it. But there's wealth of features the 788t offers that come in handy , so I think I'll keep it. Besides, it's paid for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, are you still on the first software revision? The current version (1.02) allows you to select x1 and x2 to follow the XLR outputs.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

be careful though - after selecting X1/X2 to follow the xlr outputs selecting a channel and then feeding it to the X1/X2 overrides that setting. it's easy to do and not easy to notice that's been done while in run n gun mode. there should an option to lock it in place so that doesn't happen.

Yes, Brian I completely agree. - been stung by that a couple of times when I've gone to solo a track, entered the track edit function by mistake and hit the x1or x2 button, which then resets the x1/x2 output matrix.   And since the x1x2 is usually going to the hops, it's easy to not notice that it has happened.  It sounds like it would be a rare mistake, but it's happened a couple of times to me.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Yes, Brian I completely agree. - been stung by that a couple of times when I've gone to solo a track, entered the track edit function by mistake and hit the x1or x2 button, which then resets the x1/x2 output matrix. And since the x1x2 is usually going to the hops, it's easy to not notice that it has happened. It sounds like it would be a rare mistake, but it's happened a couple of times to me.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Same here. I check the X1/X2 matrix screen quite a bit now to be safe.

Ken

Re: 633 X1X2 - LR routing reset gotcha ;

Thanks guys I'm glad to know that- that's why I love this forum...

Another difference about the 633 is track naming. I like my transmitter numbers to match my input channels to avoid confusion. My track names:

1Boom , 2Lav, 3Lav, 4Lav, 5Lav, 6Lav

There is no #1Lav. The first Lav is on ch2 so I call it 2Lav

If ch6 had a mic pre, then it could be used for the boom and ch1 could be Lav1. Or I could just toss out my track naming scheme and do something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk