664 vs. 788t

maxmartinezj

Hi, and welcome max: " I am new to this forum and was just curious on everyone's thoughts on this topic."

these products are discussed here extensively, including being compared and contrasted.

reports on the site search vary, but you will get good results if you do a Google search, and use jwsoundgroup.net as your first search term.
in the end, it will be your decision, as it is not only objective, but also subjective, and only you can make it!

and as Johnny is about to say, they are not in a competition...

Edited by studiomprd

In the end if you do the math the 788t is more expensive if you consider dollars per track and also much more power consumption...that's not to say you shouldn't get one. I think it depends on what kind of work you do and how important mobility and weight are to you. The 664 is lighter if you are looking at 788t with cl8. But mix assist is amazing tool to have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input everyone.

I agree with all of the above, my only issue is that the 664 doesn't record internally and only has AA batts as a backup if my NP-1 dies during a shoot. Especially since I do alot of run and gun reality tv

If you do a lot of run and gun reality, I assume lots of wiring. If you lose power from the NP1 how is the internal power from the 664 going to save you? You'd lose all your wireless if everything is powered from the NP1.

Justan got a good point regarding recorder and receiverpower: once the power/NP-1 is off,there is (unless you have a boom) only power

for the recorder left ( 788:ext 'Sonystyle' batt,664: AA INT batt) The INT 664 AA's will give you plenty of time to keep on rolling(Boom only,in this case) till you get a fresh,filled NP-1.

SD:I want mix assist on the 664!!!(why not:it's a mixer/recorder!)

I would say it is fairly common practice (from having worked alongside many other mixers in reality) to power the 788t with its own np1 and everything else via a bds with an additional np1. A 664 or a 788t being powered from the same np1 as everything else in your bag would drain the battery very quickly, so you'd be swapping it out fairly frequently. Separate batteries would at least let you go till lunch.

My experience anyway

Does the 664 switch from ext to int power automatically and seamlessly, like the 788T does, when the np-1 is depleted?

The 664 has a hard switch for Internal/External power.  The user can switch between the two seamlessly by flipping the switch.  The 664 will only fail over to the internal AAs by itself if it is recording and the external power is lost completely.

Never had a problem with the 788 headphone amp? What is there to be desired??

The 788 headphone amp issue has been discussed before (), I agree with those concerns.  Compared to the other SD products I've used (442, 552, 744, 664, 633), the 788 headphone amp seems to lack headroom and headphone peak red LED (indicating headphone clipping) seems to trigger on at a relatively lower level IMO than their other products.

I had a 788/cl8 combo and loved it. Then came along the 664/cl6, and I swapped.

Things I didn't like on the 788 that I like better on the 664:

1- POWER, the 788 is hungry. With the same amount of wireless and gear on the same np1, the 788 would do around 2hrs where the 664 does 4-5hrs.

2- MENU, the 664 is a clear winner on the menu organization. It is a big improvement over the 788.

3- HEAT, I used the ( almost ) burn myself on the 788 in bag mode, where the 664 remains cold.

4- ANALOG MIXER/LIMITERS, I like the sound of the 664 pres and mixer vs the 788. Big difference is the limiters. I always hated the 788, they sound like a bad plugin to me. Where the 664 sounds like the 302,442,552 limiters which I like better. In this case, the 633 is like the 788 and that's why I sold mine after a couple of months.

5- ERGONOMY, having everything on the top ( 664 ) is a plus. The two wheels on the either side of the 788 was always a pain in the bag.

6- METERS ALL IN ONE WINDOW, I hated not seing all tracks and mix on the meters of the 788 ( only 8 meters ). I know you can see all 12 on the display but they where delayed and looked too small ).

Thing I miss on my 664 that I liked better on the 788.

1- INPUT DELAY, nice to adjust ( time align ) boom with wireless.

2- OUTPUT DELAY, nice to offset audio playback to video assist. But I send audio to video assist now and they playback what they recorded.

3- METER BRIGHTNESS, yep that is a big one.

My two cents

Pascal

a 788t being powered from the same np1 as everything else in your bag would drain the battery very quickly, so you'd be swapping it out fairly frequently. Separate batteries would at least let you go till lunch.

On a regular gig :  788+CL8 + 1 Wisy receiver + one Audio LTD transmitter +CMIT I = one NP70 a day ! But for other jobs I use 2 NP batteries.

788/Cl8, 3 Lectro SRB, two Lectro LMA ( with battery eliminator ), recording to an Average of 6 tracks, all on a IDX NP7LS. Starting at 16.0vdc and swapping when reaching 13vdc or less.

Never lasted more then 2-2.5hrs. Never wanted to switch off in between takes since the 788 takes an eternity to power up.

Same setup but replacing the 788/Cl8 with a 664, Brend averaging 4-5hrs on the same battery.

If you do a lot of run and gun reality, I assume lots of wiring. If you lose power from the NP1 how is the internal power from the 664 going to save you? You'd lose all your wireless if everything is powered from the NP1.

I power my mixer/recorder to an NP-1 and my receivers to a BDS system from another NP-1

4- ANALOG MIXER/LIMITERS, I like the sound of the 664 pres and mixer vs the 788. Big difference is the limiters. I always hated the 788, they sound like a bad plugin to me. Where the 664 sounds like the 302,442,552 limiters which I like better. In this case, the 633 is like the 788 and that's why I sold mine after a couple of months.

To be fair, the 633 is kind of half-half. Analog input limiters on 1-3 (mic), digital input limiters on 1-6 (line and AES), digital output limiters.

Pascal pretty much nailed it!

I currently own both a 664/CL6 and 788T/CL8.  9 ot of 10 times I would take out the 664 first.  Really, the only thing missing from the 664 that the 788T can do is the Mix Assist.  Other than that, the 664 is a more versatile machine.  Just the fact it uses less than half the power consumtion of a 788T and emits virtually no RF spray is good reason enough to go the 664 route.