411 bad power switch

osa

There are instructions on the lectro site for taking apart the 411. I think the instructions I found recently were for replacing the LCD screen. The job is not not too difficult but its nice to have the guided tour since there's a few shortcuts- you don't have to remove all the screws to get to the bottom circuit board.

Important skill to have since I think ALL my 411 switches have failed at this point. Nice that they're home fixable though... and they fail slowly with tons of warning and usually will work with a bit of a wiggle or a poke, even when they are failing.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

just ordered my switches from lectro. 82 cents ea. i order 3 to have a few extra why not. while i was at it i ordered a new switch for my old 211 rx and 200 tx backup kit that both have switches taped to on position currently. the 200 tx switch was 9.95. still not bad. thanks for everyone's input i am gonna go for it.

Ken

just ordered my switches from lectro. 82 cents ea. i order 3 to have a few extra why not. while i was at it i ordered a new switch for my old 211 rx and 200 tx backup kit that both have switches taped to on position currently. the 200 tx switch was 9.95. still not bad. thanks for everyone's input i am gonna go for it.

Ken

The "crude" 82 cent switch is actually a more dependable switch over time than the precision NKK(Japan) 9.95 switch. Go figure.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

The 82 cent one is a simple open switch, with folded metal forming the housing and a simple slide mechanism. The NKK switch is a beautifully molded tiny closed switch with tight fitting oleofin plastic parts for sealing the switch from dust, etc. Though it was expensive even in quantity, it just never held up.

Anvils can be crude but they are the best thing to pound on.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro

i guess my main confusion was - whether the two switches (tx and rx) were the same. 

All figured out Larry, many thanks... 

-vin

Actually, I am the one that is confused. There were two different receiver switches and that is what I thought we were discussing. The little black and red receiver switch was pricey and fragile. You were talking about the transmitter switch which is a high quality and usually rugged, double pole, double throw sealed switch. It is also NKK but holds up and is worth its added cost. My apologies for confusing you.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

• 4 weeks later...

Success! completed this morn on both the 211 and 411 - turns out they did indeed use the same switch, the super helpful CS at lectro was very generous with help getting the parts i needed. he must have put in a bad part number and sent me a push button menu switch. ordering 3x power switches anticipating a future need was a smart move so i ended up ok with enough switches. now i have a menu switch for down the road if i need it. the 211 and 411 switches were fairly easy to replace. the UM200C switch, not so much relatively speaking. i managed to get it swapped but took a little extra time and messing about. now all is good!

Larry - the transmitter switch (the more expensive one) seemed to fall apart when i got it out and i could see the inner workings, yet the receiver switches (the less expensive ones) seemed solid and hermetically sealed. looked like a major difference in build for a similar type of switch. although maybe mine fell apart as a result of being damaged hence needing replaced.

certainly glad for the help here really appreciate everyone's input.

Ken

on a side note - when i was heating and pulling off the old solder, tip of the iron slipped off and blasted right into my thumb. OUCH! the quick move plus the heat cauterized a small hole in my thumb. it was painful yet simultaneously fascinating. tip was clean so hopefully i can keep the thumb for a while