Tonmeister App in the Appstore

TimoK

The Tonmeister App is finally online and we added some more neat and free of charge features.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tonmeister/id931110535?l=de&ls=1&mt=8

screen480x480.jpeg

(In response to the big amount of interest, feedback and questions I opened this new thread so nobody has to jump to the last page of our NAB thread all the time.)

We are all sincerely sorry for the delay!

To give you a more detailed explanation please read the6 new products thread.

We think that the additional development time resulted in a more reliable app and we hope that you will like the tool.

Please share your thoughts. We hope that we can grow this software together with you

Kind regards

Timo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First impression, the gui is very clean and easy to navigate. I will need to spend some more time with the app, it seems like there is a lot it can do.

Thanks, If you find something missing please just share your ideas (except for meters :) , we know some would like to see that)

I will try to do a short video manual in the near future.

Hi there, we hear you iPhone users loud and clear. It's definitely on our list, and rather "next year" than "in a year or so" . BUT.... it's gonna be some water down the river and you do know our scheduling in the meantime ;)

Also, you should be prepared to give up on quite a bit of the quick access options such as profund track and take re-editing, live video, script following while recording etc.

Believe me, even on an iPhone 6Plus the screens would get too fiddly to operate without toothpick.It's hard to explain without seeing it in action, but all the content not only cries the pixel count of a retina display but also a certain size of the screen (even then we probably should better not leave out 4s and 5 users without risking major uproar)

On that matter I had a customer in on Friday evening and he was looking forward to get an iPhone 6Plus just for that app. When I showed him the app on my iPad Mini he immediately ditched that idea and decided to go with an iPAd Air2 instead.

Would like to see this work with other recorders as well.

So would we. The problem is that we are depending on what recorders can supply in terms of physical and software interfacing. What we do is a first in time and ther is no standrad protocol and in most cases not even the possibility to retrofit that. Fact is, we are requiring more communication depth as present in every current recorder out there but the 788T.

This also includes current generation of Zaxcom recorders that I believe most of you would love to see supported. Unfortunately Zaxnet as is is not fully suited for what we need as it was designed for a Zaxcom ecosystem based on controlling wireless from a recorder.

For example Zaxnet does not allow us to readout TC start/stop stamps of current, past or just the last of recordings, file names etc. leave alone write back to the machine, routing, name tracks. etc. We cannot even trigger recording through Zaxnet. In the end this would lead to inconsistencies between sound report and meta data generated on the recorder and via app, which renders usefulness doubtful.

We're absolutely concerned about integrity and reliability of the date delivered and with current implementationit is not (yet) possible. Still, we're also good friends with Zaxcom and I have discussed the issue once more with Glenn recently. If there is a way to bring it to current generation, we both will try hard to make it happen. But then, if not, there's always the future ;)

Again, we are largely depending from what manufacturers are willing and able to contribute, disclose and allow us to use. So please do not forget to ask your preferred recorder maker, also.

Is it possible to add letters to scene names?

Yes, a little awkward currently, agreed, but yes. Basically you have 2 options.

1.)From the record screen you can tap on "scene" (instead just incrementing it with "+") then enter the new scene name in the search/create bar, tap on "number create" and enter the letter as "Additional"

2.)When used with a 788T you can also unlock the "pencil" and enter manually whatever you want.

This all is still just a workaround, though. The idea is to use the "Slate" tag for this, so actually a "scene" as you refer to (e.g. "12b") is in truth a combination of the actual "scene" ("12") and "slate" ( "b") - unfortunately our slate tag does not allow for lettres yet (next update) as we in Europe do not use this way we have culpably ommited it.

Also can't figure out how to edit take numbers in the history tab.

Yes you can, however, you need to have a valid entry for "Slate" entered first. ;)

And here we would appreciate your input: Script/Continuity supervisors also in the States actually do use the "Slate" tag but sound mixers apparently do not: Would you sound mixers prefer to show you this simply as "scene" as used to and you can increment numbers and letters individually by 2 seperate "+" signs or can you get friends with seperate "slate"? (Still, the sound report would split this up into scene and slate to be consistent with  script's log and it is also important for us, so that LockitScript app and TonMeister build on the same database backend).

So as you see, we have just started, so just keep your suggestions and questions coming, please....

I was a huge proponent for the app, and I was probably one of the many people constantly asking when this was coming out after it's repeated sneak previews at conferences. But, even though it was delayed on its release I still think it's too early to put this app into play with on-set situations.

Being from across the ways in US/Canada territory I find it hard to believe that it is such a hassle to even add any sort of scene lettering which is pretty standard on how we operate over here. When we actually do a slate numbering scheme (rare from where I'm at), it is just a number that increases with each shot. For instance, the first shot of the very first day of shooting would be '1'. If we move to a different shot, it would be '2' and so on. Just like how it would be Scene 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, 6, 6A, 6B it would be Slate 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. instead. It would increase all the way until the final day of shooting.

My suggestion is to give us free reign in terms of scene, slate, shot, take numbering schemes. Just look at the mechanics of the Movie★Slate app w/ the Sound Report plugin. 

Also, I'm not sure you're if you're using localization for certain languages, but in the top menubar to go back to the Project menu screen under the Presets tab it says, Projektauswahl.

We obviously can't complain too much about the app as it's a free download, but I would think you would be using this as a major selling point for the ACN-BTL and ACN if you could smooth out the workflow.

Right now you're ahead of the game in terms of audio recorder control, but I'm still sitting on the fence trying to figure out which direction I'm going to go (as is many) when it comes to film production metadata ecosystems.

Flip: " I find it hard to believe that it is such a hassle to even add any sort of scene lettering which is pretty standard on how we operate over here. "

I don't.*.. and just because it is the way we operate has nothing to do with it.  feel free to program your own app...

* disclosure: once upon a time, I was a computer software engineer / programmer.

Yes, a little awkward currently, agreed, but yes. Basically you have 2 options.

1.)From the record screen you can tap on "scene" (instead just incrementing it with "+") then enter the new scene name in the search/create bar, tap on "number create" and enter the letter as "Additional"

2.)When used with a 788T you can also unlock the "pencil" and enter manually whatever you want.

This all is still just a workaround, though. The idea is to use the "Slate" tag for this, so actually a "scene" as you refer to (e.g. "12b") is in truth a combination of the actual "scene" ("12") and "slate" ( "b") - unfortunately our slate tag does not allow for lettres yet (next update) as we in Europe do not use this way we have culpably ommited it.

Yes you can, however, you need to have a valid entry for "Slate" entered first. ;)

And here we would appreciate your input: Script/Continuity supervisors also in the States actually do use the "Slate" tag but sound mixers apparently do not: Would you sound mixers prefer to show you this simply as "scene" as used to and you can increment numbers and letters individually by 2 seperate "+" signs or can you get friends with seperate "slate"? (Still, the sound report would split this up into scene and slate to be consistent with  script's log and it is also important for us, so that LockitScript app and TonMeister build on the same database backend).

So as you see, we have just started, so just keep your suggestions and questions coming, please....

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for your response.  I could see how using the "slate" field (once you can enter letters) would be appropriate for lettering shots within a scene, and would not take much for me to get used to in my workflow.  However I would still require letters in the scene number.  In the states, if a scene is added to the script after the scene numbers are locked, that additional scene number will be prepended with a letter, i.e. Scene 32, Scene A33, Scene 33.  Currently I don't see how to record scene A33. 

The other thing to consider with using the Slate field is the first shot would have nothing recorded in the slate field.  We start with scene 33, then 33A, 33B, etc...  As it is now, I wouldn't be able to edit the take numbers on the first setup.  That's probably an easy change though.

In addition to that, for me there are often jobs that stray away from traditional scene naming where a sound report is helpful, and those scene names end up being something like "Pete_301_PU" which is essentially the talents name, episode number, scene type, all stored in the scene name, and therefor stored in the file name which is what post has asked for.  Whether or not the file name is the proper place for this metadata is a different discussion, it is however something many people in post have gotten used to, and is a request I get frequently.

This is just the way I work, other peoples workflows will likely differ.

Thanks

For me, it's fairly similar, actually. Even though our standard system based on numbers only, there can be letters, such as when breaking a scene into two parts. On my current show I have been asked to follow the camera's naming scheme (for whatever reason), but also the scene name. So today my first take was this: 2845_A001_C001 with the C001 being the clip counter that increases with every take.

Before Klaus takes over again a short comment from my side:

Well, thank you all! This is exactly the input we need. Believe it or not, this app went through sound mixers hands all arround the world for beta testing. For some reason everybody was blind on that  particular eye. ::)

The good part of the Tonmeister app is: It's software, and there'll be a lot of updates down the road and we do listen very carefully.

As we all know, there is nothing like one particular workflow for all sound mixers and nobody will ever create one.

Therefore, you all are part of this project as we deeply rely on your feedback to get closer to the best possible common solution step by step.

We are very thankful for everybody willing to accompany us on this road.

Timo

Will the app work with cl-wifi hardware?

Currently it does not.

When I said the TM app would benefit from the Beetle one of those was the dual communication over BT and WiFi. The problem is that the CL-WiFi hardware uses an Ad-Hoc connection. Linking directly to it you would lose options of live view from Teradek and remotely acessing the Master Lockit.

When we introduced the TonMeister app on NAB we also announced the 788T support as an in-app purchase that would also support the CL-WiFi. Now we decided to offer it for free but as a matter of fact, reqiuire the Beetle. We're still investigating into making it happen, though. Possibly we could route the CL-WiFi through a Master Lockit.

• 3 weeks later...

My Beetle arrives later today but I have been playing with Tonmeister in the meantime. I'm aware that the App will behave differently when my SD788T is connected and it would seem that "pencil" will appear. There has quite rightly been talk of letters after or even before the numbers, but equally one might want to write a WT name with no preceeding number. Not everything is tied to scene or slate number. Incidentally, I work in Spain for a global client base. One day U.S style and next day European. I imagine many, wherever they are based have to freely follow the system of their clients from around the World. I'm therefore hoping that the pencil method will truly let me name freely. To add to this, frequently I have to name a group of scenes in one shot. e.g. 1-2-3-5. Probably more common in commercials when following the storyboard shot numbering. Hoping the pencil can handle that. The product seems a great solution to the CL-Wifi problems. I'm impressed that Klaus and Timo are listening so much and for that reason I'm getting on board now as the future looks good.

My Beetle arrives later today but I have been playing with Tonmeister in the meantime. I'm aware that the App will behave differently when my SD788T is connected and it would seem that "pencil" will appear. There has quite rightly been talk of letters after or even before the numbers, but equally one might want to write a WT name with no preceeding number. Not everything is tied to scene or slate number. Incidentally, I work in Spain for a global client base. One day U.S style and next day European. I imagine many, wherever they are based have to freely follow the system of their clients from around the World. I'm therefore hoping that the pencil method will truly let me name freely. To add to this, frequently I have to name a group of scenes in one shot. e.g. 1-2-3-5. Probably more common in commercials when following the storyboard shot numbering. Hoping the pencil can handle that. The product seems a great solution to the CL-Wifi problems. I'm impressed that Klaus and Timo are listening so much and for that reason I'm getting on board now as the future looks good.

Thanks for joining the community,

When activating the pencil you have no file / take naming limitations at all any more, be it letters or numbers. 

Cheers

Timo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, working with the app at the moment. It is great but have a problem. When I go to share the report, I have various options but the only one that works is to Mail. If I want to open it on Adobe reader to save it locally, I have the option but when I press it nothing happens. Any idea what is happening?

Hi Diego,

glad you like it! I just tried it with several IPads on my desk and never faced an issue. Is your Adobe reader updated to the latest version? Are you using iOS8? To create a work around, you can use the dropbox, if you have one, to store it locally.

I'm sorry I can't help you with this. If you find the reason, please share it with us.

Cheers

Timo

SavePDFReport.png