Anyone using this PSC internally cabled pole?

bendybones

http://www.locationsound.com/psc-fbpmcc-elite-boom-pole-w-coiled-cable,-8.3-ft.-max.-length-91

I am looking into a 2nd hand one with the internal coiled cable.

I would be purchasing it for doco as I have Panamic poles for drama.

I would be replacing the end cap with the side exit cap. 

These aren't available here to demo so I would love to hear your experiences.

many Thanks

I have the PSC large and i love it. I worked with Ambient and Kteks before which are all great poles, but psc has some extra features; you can convert the cabled psc pole into an uncabled pole within seconds no disconnecting of a connector necessary! I prefer the locking collar design over the ktek alumium one and the ambient, it's a very simple yet effective design that only requieres a quarter of a twist. Disassembly is very easy, no tools necessary. There is no need to ever send the pole to the mothership. PSC has a great customer service and they can provide you with any spare parts which you could switch out at home!

All of the fishpoles I have ever owned have had internal straight cables. Many of them, from various manufacturers over the years, I have re-cabled myself and have devised several methods for shockmounting the cable within the first section of the pole. This shockmounting can only be used, obviously, in the first section of the pole that has many sections, but it does make a big difference. I have never heard any cable slap noise from the fishpole in Don Coufal's hands, even when running with the pole fully extended. I don't know how he does it.

I can say very confidently that the collars on the PSC poles are the best I have ever held. I've used Loon, Ambient, currently use K-Tek and have even used cheap knock off's like Rode, etc.

The PSC collars are amazing. You turn it maybe one quarter of a turn and it is fully unlocked the way it should be, with very little resistance on the section being extended. Then turn back one quarter or so of a turn and it's locked tight and ready to go. The machining is very nice on the collars and they just feel wonderful in my hands.

I am about to resign my K-Tek poles to backup / 2nd unit status only. I'm just tired of the collars on K-Tek poles which require 5-7 full turns to fully unlock the pole sections (all sections, all poles, so it is NOT a defect, just a poor collar design). It makes extending the sections extremely slow and being sure they are locked out properly is a pain. 

I got to borrow a friend's PSC pole for a week earlier in the year and fell in love with the locking collars immediately. My advice is to try one in your hands first if you can, then buy it if you like the feel. I'm personally already sold, so my experience as you asked in your OP was that they are excellent poles.

Good luck.

K-Tek collars should not require 5 to 7 turns to fully tighten or loosen. Our design for 18 years has been just a quarter turn. If it is taking that much to tighten or loosen a collar then it probably needs a tune up. I always recommend sending the pole to the factory for a refurb just to check everything. 

Also, our stage poles have a removable head piece so you can change the cable out on the fly in the field without having solder anything. 

TR: " I'm just tired of the collars on K-Tek poles which require 5-7 full turns to fully unlock the pole sections (all sections, all poles, so it is NOT a defect, just a poor collar design). "

something is wrong... all mine are 1/4 turn to lock/unlock...

Agreed!  Never needed more than a 1/4 turn!