Two Lectrosonics SRb's in the same block in one bag - issues?

ncsoundmixer

Are any of you folks set up this way?

I'm thinking of running two Block 22 SRb's paired with 4 SM-series transmitters. I currently have 1 Block 22 SRb and 2 Block 22 411a's. 

The rest of the bag contains 1 Block 19 SRb/2 SMV with a Block 26 Zaxcom Digital Link for hop, running through Nomad.

Thank you for your input.

I have run 2 srbs' in block 19 in my 633 setup from time to time and not had issues, I ran the first srb in the 480s with receiver one of course being a higher frequency by 400 hz , and the other srb i ran up around 519 and same deal receiver 1 being a higher freq than receiver 2. Hope that helps...I to run the sms' 

Best 

John

There is a couple of things to know about your situation.

1- running two srb in the same block should be fine or should I say no more issues the. Running one and two 411's. It's all about how empty is that block in your market and how good do you coordinate your freq.

2- only real concern I have is your Zaxcom TX. These are notoriously known to spill RF all over the spectrum. So word of advice here, keep that TX as far away as you can from your receiver. I run two block 22, one block 24 SRB in my bag, with two SMV block 26 tx ne t to them with no problem at all, but when I tested the same setup, but replacing the SMV's with a Zax ( block 26 ), I had range issue with the SRB. Since there was no issue with the SMv and problems with the Zax, I can only conclude that even if the zax publicise a really tight freq Q factor, it is in reality spilling it's guts all over the place. Many people have good success by remoting the Zax Tx on the back of their belt.

My two cents.

Pascal

nc: " Are any of you folks set up this way? "

where have you been the last three years, since you signed on here ??

lots and lots of folks are dooing that,  just look in the "show me your bag" section...

the issues come from the factors PVS mentioned:

crowding in the specific blocks, however getting 4 freq's in a single block is a common situation.... totally usual...

the other factors are the RF put out by TX's near the RX's, and sometimes the spurious emissions, the so called "spray" from other devices.

My Block 26 Zax hop has co-existed with the Block 22 411's for the last six years, Block 22 SRb scans show no more RF energy spray from the Zax hop than do the Block 22 411a's.  A four block spread between the Zax hop and Lectro receivers living in one bag has been fine in my experience. 

I also know that configuring 4 Lectro's in one block is workable - that wasn't my question either. 

What I'm curious about is might there be some sort of interference between two same block SRb's in one bag due to other unreported factors? More specifically, the tuning spread issue (feature?) of the SRb:

from Lectro's manual: "Performance will be degraded if Receiver 2 is set 4.2 to 4.8 MHz higherthan Receiver 1."

If one Block 22 SRb is tuned within that 4.2 - 4.8 MHz window compared to the adjacent Block 22 SRb, could there be interference from unit to unit? It's a reach, but I though I might ask. I did do a search and didn't see anything come up, hence my post. 

studiomprd, please don't respond to my thread, I don't wish to read your responses. 

The lectro manual quote refers to the two receivers within an srb, not two srb's. Just make sure the left channel of each srb is a higher frequency than the corresponding right channel.

I could be mistaken but, while I believe that applied to the SRa's, is not an issue with the SRb's.  Larry...?

Tom

brooks, I've been running 2 block 21 srb's with a 633 and zaxcom camera link on block 23 since august for a college football show i'm on that has spread over 10 different cities across the US. the only time i've pulled them out has been for football games that didn't have any official frequency coordination in place, so i threw in 411's just to be safe. but i always try to have a safe distance in all of my frequencies. in some instances, finding enough clear space in that one block has been my biggest challenge. but usually we are pretty close to talent so I haven't had much of an issue. but the spacial gap in frequencies only applies to one unit, i've experienced no interference because of that.

I run up two three SRa's (still) in one block and my IFB (Sennheiser G3) is in that sane block as well. With a bit of careful scanning and subsequent setting of frequencies, this setup works well for me. Sometimes I have a couple of Zax RX900 in there, too, but they are 6 blocks separated. Recorder is a 788T, btw, which is known for a bit of RF spray, too. Still, for me it works.

Oh, one more thing: I know studiomprd can be annoying, and his useful responses are rare, he is one of the saviest RF guys in this group.