Gotta love the innovation coming out of Tascam at the moment

cory

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new micro pass-through recorders look great for certain situations. Guess someone found a way to get around Zaxcom's recording wireless patent... (sorry Glenn). Of course, if you need the recording and transmitter in an all-in-one unit (which is still obviously the ideal scenario) there's still only Zax.

Juiced link has their own version but my experience with their past products is poor.

dH: " Guess someone found a way to get around Zaxcom's recording wireless patent... "

maybe by not being a transmitter that records.. ??

IOW: it is just another small recorder

disclaimer: " What the box does for users has very little to do with what a patent covers. " (Jay Rose)

Edited by studiomprd

Looks like I might have found a double post for this earlier, so I'm including my response here for everyone as well. 

Hi Cory, Unfortunately the DR-70D is not available as of yet. A little birdie told me it might be shipping from Tascam as of December. However, I do know a usual suspect that would be the perfect place where you can check out the 60D MKII (which has essentially all the same parts in a different box) the biggest differences are the number of XLR's and the physical look of the unit. Feel free to PM me for more specific info!

constantin: " to add TC functionality to this recorder. "

not really...

TC could be recorded on an audio track, but TC information is not being included in the bwf file chunks to actually work with SMPTE TC enabled systems; SMPTE TC on audio tracks is sketchy, and not typically used anymore in post, though it tends to serve for transcription recordings...

Edited by studiomprd

Yes, really. Tentaclesync does record on an audio track, so yes, it's not in stored in the bwf chunks, but with the aproppriate software it's easy and fast to sync. You say it's not supportemd anymore in post, but that's not true. Avid has this on board on its own, but in any case you can use Tentaclesyncs own software (which I think is free with a Tentacle) which will take care of syncing

Best is still to check with post... Sometimes they're accustomed to it, sometimes they'll use PluralEyes anyway nonobstent the fact you give'em the option, sometimes they'll be ready to try, some other times they never heard of it and will ask for a clap (hands or sticks) instead of modifying their usual workflow ... Well...

Yes, really. Tentaclesync does record on an audio track, so yes, it's not in stored in the bwf chunks, but with the aproppriate software it's easy and fast to sync. You say it's not supportemd anymore in post, but that's not true. Avid has this on board on its own, but in any case you can use Tentaclesyncs own software (which I think is free with a Tentacle) which will take care of syncing

Never worked with audio timecode actually, but I assume it's quite present, audio wise. Therefore you need to mute the track on your headphones, and I wonder if these devices like the tascam have such monitoring routing like we are used to have from the sound devices and zaxcoms.

dH: " Guess someone found a way to get around Zaxcom's recording wireless patent... "

maybe by not being a transmitter that records.. ??

What the box does for users has very little to do with what a patent covers.

My son, a former assistant CE at a big station, is now a patent attorney specializing in audio/broadcast for a large IP firm. Plenty of clients you'd recognize. He's told me stories...

If there is a Nomad involved I don't really see the need for this Tascam unit. If you do use it you can mix four channels into two, so you could leave the audio TC out, I guess. You (or the producer/dp/dit whoever) can sync the material before it even gets to post. But of course talk to them beforehand. I think the ability to sync everything automatically in minutes rather than manually in hours does help with the decision. the DSLR shoots I've been on were mostly doc type stuff and they would often start rolling without bothering with the slate.

The new micro pass-through recorders look great for certain situations. Guess someone found a way to get around Zaxcom's recording wireless patent... (sorry Glenn). Of course, if you need the recording and transmitter in an all-in-one unit (which is still obviously the ideal scenario) there's still only Zax.

Juiced link has their own version but my experience with their past products is poor.

There's nothing in the Zaxcom patent to stop another company having a wireless TX with a recorder in it. Their patent is for a "wireless VIRTUAL multitrack recorder" meaning a bunch of independent recorders that can be synchronised (via TC in this case) wirelessly.

Patents here: https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=pts&hl=en&q=inassignee%3A%22Zaxcom%2C+Inc.%22

There's nothing in the Zaxcom patent to stop another company having a wireless TX with a recorder in it. Their patent is for a "wireless VIRTUAL multitrack recorder" meaning a bunch of independent recorders that can be synchronised (via TC in this case) wirelessly.

Patents here: https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=pts&hl=en&q=inassignee%3A%22Zaxcom%2C+Inc.%22

[What I wrote read like an a beatdown on Justin. That wasn't my intention at all. So let me change the opening a bit]

It appears some patents that Zaxcom controls were originally assigned to Glenn and then also Howy. That's understandable. So this quick Google search yields more patents than the above search:

Zaxcom recorder patent

Also when I glance at Zaxcom's abstract, summary, and claims for 7,711,443 (which --might-- be the key patent in this discussion. It also might not. What do I know? I'm not a lawyer), it's unclear to me if the various "systems and methods" are dependent on each other. IOW, if I built a system where, "each performer is equipped with a local audio device capable of locally recording the respective performer's audio while also transmitting it to a master recorder" but doesn't have all the other features described in the patent, can a =good= case be made that am I infringing the Zaxcom patent? Got me. Hey Jay, get your son to chime in here <kidding>.

But I do agree (well actually, guess) that what Tascam's doing seems clear. I mean, they've been making recorders that work with microphones for a long time. And it looks like they have thousands of recorder patents to back up that work:

tascam recorder patent

And the little DC-10 recorders don't have integrated transmitters. They're just DR-100 recorders with fewer features and different inputs crammed into a super-useful size. And to be clear: that's a good thing. 

But if someone sold a bodypack with both an integrated transmitter and recorder, I don't know what would happen. Someone else here might...

Well I've pretty much beat this to death and stepped way beyond my knowledge. :-)

And ya, it's cool to see such neat stuff coming from Tascam. Congrats Tom!

B&H and Adorama have stock of both the DR-60DmkII and DR-70D.   More on their way to other dealers this month.

DSLR filmmaking mostly lives in a Timecode-oblivious world, what can I say...     

Our products now timestamp with time-of-day, so it's usually obvious if you have the right files for a clip.  Syncing them up is a solved problem.  

I love the quote I've seen here before that Timecode is the rails on which filmmaking gets to run at full speed, but there's the unpaved roads in the rest of the world to work on too.

Tom.

Tascam impresses the heck out of me. They are coming out with a steady stream of products at unbelievable price points. Nobody in the prosumer space even comes close. They've clobbered Zoom into the ground, JuicedLink and Beachtech are not even on the horizon anymore, and I think the DR-70D is a direct attack on the Zoom H6 and it beats it into the ground (at least on paper). But. There's always a but, know what I mean :) sometimes the QC can be dodgy - I have a friend who had two defective DR-60D, one after another (but I have one and it's been fine, though I don't use it much). Also, don't know what's going on, but the same friend just bought the 22WL, and he just ran a comparison to the zoom h1, and the sound quality recorded on the 22WL is way worse which surprised him big time. Regardless, Tascam is firing on all cylinders and destroying the prosumer competition. I'm definitely buying the DR-70D.

Audio: " No timecode no deal! "

OMG...

call my broker,  TASCAM is going to be on the ropes...

but wait...

TD: " DSLR filmmaking moviemaking mostly lives in a Timecode-oblivious world, what can I say...

Our products now timestamp with time-of-day "

so there is TC, just not SMPTE TC.

Edited by studiomprd

RottenCarcass: I think they are very different devices. I'm not defending a Zoom, but those are handheld devices made to do 100 different things. I haven't used an H6, but I know some Zooms have a built in guitar tuner and are made to put on the floor during band practice to record you working out songs. That's part of the reason I bought an H2. That and transcription MP3s were my main reason. The built in mic makes them perfect for people doing interviews, recording lectures in school etc etc. This is a very different beast. That said, I've always like Tascam too. When I was chief engineer at a college radio station, Tascam was often my go to brand for Cd players, cassette decks, DAT decks, minidisc etc. Their stuff was more durable in that environment that anything else. 

This is interesting, but not really for us. Maybe if you are doing interviews shot on a DSLR, but the lack of timecode is an impending issue most sound mixers would have to face as their work more. 

JP: " When I was chief engineer at a college radio station, Tascam was often my go to brand for Cd players, cassette decks, DAT decks, minidisc etc. Their stuff was more durable in that environment that anything else. "

at my college radio station we had TEAC / TASCAM reel to reel tapes, and they were also very popular with presentation companies for use at big events, along with Kodak carrousel slide projectors