Utiliy upgrade

Dij

I'm just curious to know how you guys work.  Here in Montreal the utility which we call sound assistant, gets an upgrade when he works as a second boom but the line is  not clear.  When I was utility my deal was to get a salary between the utility and the boom op but never ask for an ugrade.  When they were giving me the scale salary for a utility I was asking for an upgrade when I was used as a boom op.

There is no written rule here in our local 514 but I'm just curious to know how you guys deal with it.

Thanks

Jonathan

Dij: " I'm just curious to know how you guys deal with it. "

well there are some union rules,  but still some variability...

to begin with, the 695 utility and boom rates (Y-8 and Y-7a) have largely been the same, but often boomers get a bump to Y-4 which pays higher.  In those situations, it is customary for the utility to also get bumped any day they are booming, although that is really at the discretion of the production, and there also may be some discretion in how much booming it takes to deserve the bump; the question of daily rates or weekly rates can also come into play...

IOW: it depends.

Productions are offering the Y-4 rate less often these days, and as Senator points out, the book rate of boom op is Y-8 and is equal to Y-7a utility. The "rule" is that if you work 2 hours above your classification, then you re-rate. But when does that start and end? WB often pay Y-4 to primary boom operator and Y-8 to 2nd boom operator. So no re-rates.

All other contracts have a rate difference between the two positions, but not much of a difference. It really is at the discretion of the mixer and UPM. My rule was always that if the 2nd boom was critical for the shot, and not just bonus/off-camera, then it could be one line or all day for the bump. Only one UPM ever insisted I time the 2 hours. I included rehearsal and shooting of the entire scene, and always tracked 2 booms throughout the scene. So if he was used, he was upgraded. A stupid game.

Here in the UK there is no upgrade. Crew negotiates rate before production starts, and that's where it remains.

Robert