Sonosax SX-R4+ and Sonosax SX-AD8+

VASI

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This is a recorder."

Perhaps it shouldn't be that way entirely, but certainly I could compensate for any limitations that fortunately are negligible in my line of work. I'd even take a crankshaft over the power button to get that kind of dynamic range :-)

I read somewhere it does AVB. Get the new Mini Motu AVB thingy and you have 8 extra outputs. The Motu works on 15v I believe so ideal for cart users. My guess is that's what Sonosax means with this statement. AVB/Dante Madi will give you all the options you want.

Personally I think that making a statement about it being a recorder is not up to date with how most of us work. Plus being a recorder but with optional modules, one being a fader pack is even worst. The reason is, if it is only a recorder, the philosophy in the past was to add a mixer in front of it to deal with all the other needs ( inputs and outputs ). But it has a fader option that will not add any outs or ins so you are still left with what is on the recorder itself. Of course one could buy a mixer but what is the point to design something and not being at least up to modern work requirement.

Again this unit/package is extremely tempting for a lot of people but when I ask around it is 100% the same answer, without additional outputs, it does not fit what the needs are now. There are very few people just needing a recorder. It is the age of the mixer/recorder.

pretty please... Again...

Pascal,

Honestly I rather have the fader controller then the analog mixer that you designed with PSC.

Adding a costly mixer in front of the modern recorder is "IMHO" not worth it.

I believe the age of the mixer in front of a recorder is getting behind us. 

Even Sound Devices have a digital mixer/recorder now.

Lets be honest. All recorders are good and do pretty much the same thing. All that matters "too me" is convenience,ergonomics and integration.

This is a beautiful looking machine, and if they run true to historic form then the analogue audio will be excellent.

The modularity is brilliant, and to be able to make the same core machine have more Ips and/or slider faders is brilliant.

2 x analogue OPs simply wont hack it. It needs 6 x analogue OPs, each of which can be fed any IP channels either pre or post fader and or any mix channels. Its as simple as that.

This 'could' be a fantastic machine, but it is currently not so.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Heck even the lowly Dr680 has six outputs. Plus digital out... Never used more than two, but hey. That Dante point is pretty moot IMHO.. Having to put another converter or box in your kit to get more outputs is stupid if there's a better solution,that Pascal already stated.

This looks great, but I concur that if it doesn't have more outputs than that I won't be buying it. Even if there's Dante and whatever.

Damn, I was keen on getting one hoping it was a 633 on steroids.

It's next to useless for us bag mixers wanting/needing to plug into a camera &/or needing a wireless hop option too. Sounds like sound devices will be getting my money instead, it's too much for such a lack of simple features.

Pity, a missed opportunity from Sonosax to service a huge slice of the market, I hope you're taking note of the responses from your clients Mr Sax..

Grant.

I have not used a snake in years...

Not a snake, but for a wireless hop you'd needs outputs, too. And if there is a boomer, a second output is a must. Two outputs are a must for me, although AES might be fine. when there is a boom-op I need two outs, but I can usually rest my bag or have the recorder on my cart, so I wouldn't mind the extra weight for a converter box

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the level controls are just that gain.controls and not faders like on the original r x4, I built a little return amp switcher for my 788. Could use that or similar for return..also wonder what the rf spill is like...certainly interested in the new unit...richard

Can't speak about the sx r4+ but I have had no problems with rf spill from the SX r4. I haven't felt the need to even scan it with the Rf scanner - the worst machine for UK channel 38 is the 788t terrible with 2040's - I have had a bit of rf output from my zfr100 also but it's so small I just move it out of the way.

RF spill on SX-r4.... I found it depended on the block.  Really glad your R4 is working out well for you Lisala!  I found that certain blocks could be a challenge.  Of course- with such a small recorder- you want to have a small bag- and have all your gear very close to each other.  Moving a few inches one way or another, can make a huge difference...