MKH 416 in rain!

jwill

Had a corporate gig in NYC on 11-17 and it was all outdoor , multiple locales and mostly boom.

I had the 416 with a weathered end on boom top and boom end a weathered snake end at camera, helly hansen bibs and petrol poncho and I did not miss a beat for 12 hrs!! I had to wring out the rycote fuzzy  a time or two, but other than that no issues....I'm guessing that the MKH 416 is an industry standard because of this kind of performance! PS the MKH 416 I used was a 1984 version P48...the old girl of my 3 that I would hate to lose but owes me NADA! Back at work mañana with the old girl! In a blimp!! 

JHW

As I understand it,  the high end Sennheisers such as the 416 use a RF (i.e. high frequency) biased condenser instead of DC.  In a moisture filled environment, the DC biased circuit saturates (not with water, electrons), and the microphone output cuts out.  With RF biased, this doesn't happen.    Superior design, giving you superior results.     The NTG3 is Rode's RF version.

When the weather is nasty the 416 delivers. Can't say the same for my CMIT 5u, I got caught in a downpour this summer, ten minute walk to car in driving rain turned into 190.00 trip to Germany for the 5U. Funny thing is they could not find anything wrong with it! I think it just wanted to see the homeland for awhile:)