franky03

Maxx fader lag

Hey all,

Recently I was on a shoot with another soundie who had a Nomad and I realised that my Maxx had a fader lag (maybe 0,3s) that wasnt there on the Nomad.

Just wondering if its just mine or are all the Maxx like this?

Thanks,

ps: senator; yes I will contact the manufacturer about this but would still like the group the weigh in.

Franky

I also have a fairly bad fader lag with my Maxx. It only seems to be when the fader goes up from all the way potted down (or the reverse). Zaxcom has said this is there for a reason, and is the same on all of their mixers. I am looking for the quote now but can't find it (it is either here, on the facebook group, or the Zax support site). But yes, it is quite bad on the Maxx (at least on mine) and needs to be tweaked to react faster from full mute. It is nowhere near the slight delay on my Nomad.

All faders that control audio in the digital domain have fader lag. The Maxx, Nomad, and SD-633 have digital faders. One reason for the lag is to keep the "zipper effect" to an unnoticeable minimum. Zippering is a result of the fact that digital faders make level adjustments in steps instead of the perfectly smooth changes of analog faders. Even though lag is present to reduce the amount of zippering, you can still probably hear the zippering on all of these devices with quick full up and down fader movement when playing a tone (this should not be considered a problem, because quick fades are never done with a tone). The amount of distance between these steps is chosen to manage processor power (reducing the distance between these steps increases the number of steps, which uses more processor power). So, the reason fader lag designed into different models can vary, likely because of differences in available processor power and the priorities the manufacture has given to the processor power.

The good news is that the amount of fader lag we have with these devices can often be of benefit more than it is a problem... When riding gain while recording live dialog, it is not uncommon to flinch too quickly in the middle of a word or sentence, causing a very noticeable level change. Fader lag can work to smooth out these unintended flinches --  something analog faders cannot do -- while not having enough lag to cause problems.

gt

Thanks for the input guys.

To my ear the lag was barely noticeable on the Nomad compared to my Maxx.

Not a huge deal... except when you're working post fader and you miss the start of the sentence because of the lag :-/

Franky

Thanks for the explanation, Glen! Although it hasn't bothered me, I always wondered why it did that. Much useful info. +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk