Best way to have a wireless boom

sfw

Love my 992's and am heartily sad they aren't selling them willingly any longer. 

Isn't it?

I wanted to get another 942 and was shocked it's discontinued.

Now I hope for them to come up with a 942.2 NC version with Neverclip and a iPhone style headphone jack so the boom operator can use  headphones with a PTT TB mike thus being able to talk back without having to collapse the boom.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the Zax all in one system is elegant it forgoes a very important part of how my crew works which is to be able to leave a boom plugged in on set the the boom op can wander away with our PL/IFB monitoring still useable by him. Not something I'd be willing to let go of as a working style in this day and age as we do a lot of back and forth and I like being able to; A-hear the set, B-have my boom op in touch with me, and C-Allow hime to get untethered for parts of his day.

Also my IFBs will carry out to out trailer from our stages and there's no way 2.4 ghz is ever flint to go that far without a lot of help.

Scott Harber

While the Zax all in one system is elegant it forgoes a very important part of how my crew works which is to be able to leave a boom plugged in on set the the boom op can wander away with our PL/IFB monitoring still useable by him. Not something I'd be willing to let go of as a working style in this day and age as we do a lot of back and forth and I like being able to; A-hear the set, B-have my boom op in touch with me, and C-Allow hime to get untethered for parts of his day.

Also my IFBs will carry out to out trailer from our stages and there's no way 2.4 ghz is ever flint to go that far without a lot of help.

Scott Harber

You can set up your Boom with the TRX742 plug on transmitter, so the Boom can remain on set. Your Operator can continue to wear the same IFB set, or if you're willing to take on an adventure, you can do Zaxnet with an IFB200 and ERX's. This will allow your Operator the ability to audition your Mix via main Zaxnet channel, or audition directly from the transmitter.

Need talkback? Easy to do with a G2/G3. Need more range? Just get a 1w amp with corner reflector antenna to boost your Zaxnet range, you will have no more complaints about range.

Pretty easy workflow IMO. There are folks out there using this system very successfully.

Scott Harber

That's my workflow and experience too, Scott.

I've got the 2.4Ghz amp and while it gives me a great deal of range sufficient to control onset devices, 2.4 doesn't penetrate the walls of our stage (neither does the Lectro IFB since the stage is a Faraday cage) or reach the blocks-away truck that other freqs do.

What the 992 does offer is an immediate hear-boom-only option and an IFB backup system. 

One thing I've not tried with the 992 is the "press two buttons to make a private line talk back" for the op. Perhaps time to revisit that feature and give it a whirl.

Scott Harber

I agree to all you're saying but I still prefer my 942 over my 742s w/ ERX or G2 as the 942 gives me total battery peace of mind. We change it's battery after lunch and never have a midtake dead boom tx,for me one of the worst things to happen.

One thing I've not tried with the 992 is the "press two buttons to make a private line talk back" for the op. Perhaps time to revisit that feature and give it a whirl.

This feature unfortunately has never been available on the 942.

Dan: " Just wondering if the Wisycom RPU300 was ever common for this purpose somewhere in the world. "

what exactly would you consider common..?  it has no doubt been done, and of course, you could contact Mas (the manufacturer!) to ask...

as a feature, it is in demand for lots of applications, and on several major brands.

My setup is a Lectro plug on a side mount at the bottom of the internally cabled pole and a Lectro IFB return to the boomer. I have it set up where I can route any input on my console to the boom operator, including a talkback. Most only want their mic, but there are times when they request the wires to help them with cues.

My setup exactly. Works like a charm.

• 11 months later...

I'd like to monitor a TRXLA2 over Zaxnet on a ERX1. But the signal is terribly distorted. Unusable. Does anyone know, what could cause the distortion and how to fix it?

Distortion, or digital garbling? The latter is the 'dropout compensator' doing its best if the Zaxnet signal is on the fringe of reception. The range of Zaxnet transmission from the body transmitter line is quite small, not more than a few meters LOS in my experience. 

That was it: Encryption was in on the ERX! Thanks Tom for pointing this out. Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Nor sure, whether this is the right topic to ask, but I do it anyways:

My setup are two TRXLA2 and two ERX1TC. I would like to have one TRXLA2 to serve as a master for TC, so the other TRXLA2 and the ERX' are getting TC from it. One ERX is used to monitor the audio signal, the other is bringing TC to the camera. I would like to monitor both TRXLA2 on different channels. But it seems, that when I want to monitor from the TRX' I have to set them to TX. That means the second TRX cannot receive Timecode via Zaxnet. 

Is there a possibility for the setup I am looking for?

In the future, I would like to add a TRX742 to the setup and us this as a master for TC. 

My setup are two TRXLA2 and two ERX1TC. I would like to have one TRXLA2 to serve as a master for TC, so the other TRXLA2 and the ERX' are getting TC from it. One ERX is used to monitor the audio signal, the other is bringing TC to the camera. I would like to monitor both TRXLA2 on different channels. But it seems, that when I want to monitor from the TRX' I have to set them to TX. That means the second TRX cannot receive Timecode via Zaxnet. 

Is there a possibility for the setup I am looking for?

Yes you can.

From the manual

Capture.JPG

• 3 months later...

Lectro plug-on near the mic attached to pole, 411 velcro to mm1 for return. Solid feed both ways.  No cabled poles, easy to adjust monitor levels for op, easy to view battery indicator for op. Can rest pole easily without transmitter in the dirt. Only one clip to hang on the belt. Fast and easy.

On 27 November 2014 at 0:41 AM, stevegrider said:

My setup is a Lectro plug on a side mount at the bottom of the internally cabled pole and a Lectro IFB return to the boomer. I have it set up where I can route any input on my console to the boom operator, including a talkback. Most only want their mic, but there are times when they request the wires to help them with cues.

After experimenting with various setups and in consultation with my regular Boom Operators, I too have found this setup to be the simplest, cleanest and therefore the best.

I plug the Lectro HM into a small Rycote XLR Holder at the top of the pole and have a dedicated 'Private' Lectro LT transmitter sending a return to my Boom Operator via a Lectro R1a.