anyone using new rycote cyclone blimp ?

George Tarrant

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to use the new Rycote Cyclone blimp. Looks like an amazing design. I'm often working in very windy conditions...30 to 50 MPH  is not uncommon.The regular rycotes can sometimes handle this type of extreme but  I've found over the years there is a definite limit as to how effective they can be. In these types of situations I've put a foam windshield on the mic inside the blimp...one or perhaps two " soft socks " over the blimp and then the furry job over that and usually some tape around the area where the pole attaches to try and seal up that opening.

His reply was also edited so that was not the original reply.

Which is why I always quote the original reply. That quote (which is, after all,what I'm referring to) can't be edited.

I have recently seen the Cyclone at a conference, but I couldn't test. It looks and feels very nice and the outer shell can be taken off easily and quickly. It is however quite big. I wonder how easy it will be to navigate through doorways behind a camera.

But I don't have any actual experience with it

OK to get back to the OP : I saw the Cyclone at the IBC and it seems big to me (compared to a Cinela Piano it is..big).I don't know what it does in windy conditions ( My guess will be: it will work fine) but my initial irritation on seeing the Cyclone was : a bit of a Cinela Rippoff(OK,OK Rycote has had many rippoffs so they have some right) but still.And although I have Pelicans full off Rycote products,Cinela wins for me (although with Cinela you cry all the way to the bank..........) 

wiki: " In rhetoric and ethics, two wrongs make a right and two wrongs don't make a right are phrases that denote philosophical norms. "Two wrongs make a right" is a fallacy of relevance, in which an allegation of wrongdoing is countered with a similar allegation. Its antithesis, "two wrongs don't make a right", is a proverb used to rebuke or renounce wrongful conduct as a response to another's transgression. "

The swiftest horse can't overtake a word once spoken.

Although apparently a swift edit can slow it down.

The Cyclone is big. I think it's quite a bit longer than the Cinela, but perhaps a bit narrower. Cinela now has the Pianissimo, and I suspect a smaller Cyclone is not too far in the future. Film/TV is not the bulk of Rycote's windshield business, and I suspect this product will suit a lot of their customers.

My view is that I wouldn't pay twice as much for something that doesn't perform any better. Although the Cinela will impress other sound people, if you're into that sort of thing. My old Rycotes work well and the size is great. My "outdoor" mics live in them, so I don't have issues with swapping mics quickly.