Denecke Defective TS-C Slates

jawharp

Hey Guys,

I bought a Denecke TS-C Slate last week and had it sent to set from Gotham.  It was brand new.  I opened it, and tried to jam it to test it, but it said it was in "read mode."  Thinking I hit the jam/read switch by accident I opened the battery compartment and checked it.  It was in the "gen" position, so it should have been jamming.  After several attempts with the switch and jamming it was not working.  I blew inside the battery compartment and the slate jammed.  It held the jam for about 30 seconds then switched itself back to "read" mode.   I returned the slate thinking it was just a defective switch.

Another different brand new TS-C arrived from Gotham the next day.  I unwrapped it and jammed it.  It jammed fine.  I assumed the other slate was a fluke and gave out the new working slate to the camera guys.  An hour later, the camera guys brought the slate back to me saying it lost its jam.  I power cycled it and it was in "read mode" just like the other one.  The switch was still in the "gen" position, not "read."  I flipped the switch a few times and it stayed stuck in "read" mode.  I blew on the switch like I did with the previous slate and it jammed, held the jam for about 30 seconds, then went back to "read" mode.  

Is Denecke starting to cheap out on their parts or something?  Or maybe they got a bad shipment of switches?  I find it strange that the same exact switch was faulty on two different brand new slates.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yeesh.

Thanks,

Joe 

joe: " Anyone else having this problem? "

what do you care..?  YOU are having a problem, and on Monday you should call the manufacturer (as JN suggested!)
" Is Denecke starting to cheap out on their parts or something? " 

I doubt it

" Or maybe they got a bad shipment of switches? "

maybe, it is a possibility

Hi Joe first of all we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Is Denecke starting to cheap out on their parts or something?

This has never been the case nor will it ever be.......

We've had a bad run of switchboards (faulty solder by the board assembler). We thought that we caught them all, but have obviously missed a few. We stand behind our products 100% and do everything possile to rectify any issues.

Please return it to Gotham sound (or directly to us if you prefer) and we will repair at under warranty.

Best Regards,

Charlie

I love Denecke and only use their timecode products. I have 4 slates and 4 sync boxes - but I've had issues with the TSC un-jamming since forever. After years of this issue and many trips home for a new magnetic sensor and new springs, Denecke was kind enough to replace it with a new one last year. Sadly it still unjams itself. Not as much as the old one, but enough that I prefer to use as strictly a backup.

Between the two TS3s and the old TS2b I've ONCE had a TA3 unjam. But the TSC does it on average once a day.

I use the white sled for the big slates and the black sleds for the TSC so the springs aren't stretched out.

When I mentioned the TSC unjamming to a friend, they simply said "they do that."

It doesn't make any sense, and I believe that the components are the same. Must be those TSC gremlins my grandmother warned me about...

Dan Izen

Late to the party here, but I have had similar problems in the past with my older Denecke slate. it went back to the mothership and had an overhaul, including a new battery sled. Denecke couldn't reproduce the problem in their shop. The slate works fine now, 99.9% of the time, but now and then it loses sync mysteriously. Gremlins indeed. Not a big problem these days, as the camera usually has a lockit device on it. i should also add that I bought the slate used in 1999, upgraded to handle 23.98 a few years back. Doesn't owe me a dime. It is a great piece of gear.

I've had a TS-C for over 5 years and never once had it unjam like you described, and I wouldn't say camera departments have treated it like a precious piece of equipment. I wonder if a slate could be messed up by something external, like a keying walkie right next to them. I only say that because I've seen a walkie crash a C300 camera.

My experience this year, is that in addition to dropping them, setting them in puddles, and using them to prop up a shelter tent (not kidding, but not on my show), is that some of the "ninja" moves made by AC's can shake the batteries out of contact with the sled, causing sync loss, but not illumination loss to the LED's... that is, they stay lit, but drop back to non sync default clock setting.