The Future...

soundtrane

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actors will be surgically implanted with pre-fade (corrects for whispering) direct outputs, unfortunately the first couple of decades we'll have to deal with adapters as women will be wired reverse polarity, Asians with Hirose, the rest of the world Switchcraft TA, except the Swiss who will sometimes use Lemo and other times use Fischer.  For some odd reason Hawaii sticks with the banana plug.

Actors will be surgically implanted with pre-fade (corrects for whispering) direct outputs, unfortunately the first couple of decades we'll have to deal with adapters as women will be wired reverse polarity, Asians with Hirose, the rest of the world Switchcraft TA, except the Swiss who will sometimes use Lemo and other times use Fischer.  For some odd reason Hawaii sticks with the banana plug.

LOTD

I d like to see a sound bag with hardware and battery weight in a back pack and a screen and control panel in the front.

That's fairly easy to achieve today already. The Roland R-88 for example can be controlled with any Midi interface and maybe tablet, too? If not, something like the Lemur might fit

Senator has bring an excellent point. In technology side we will see more touchscreens (virtual faders etc). Microphones will be digital (and I hope cheaper). Dante is here. Maybe a simpler workflow with cameras and simpler metadata exchange.

Microphones will be digital

I'm not so sure about this. The technology is there already, but only very few manufacturers have jumped on board. The few that have, they don't seem very happy. Schoeps have abandoned, it seems, the digital Colette. Analogue mics are still going strong. And mics will always be part analogue, so there are only few advantages

Constantin, in 20 - 30 years from now we will talk with nostalgia about this era; like the veterans talking here about the old microphones and recorders etc. Lets see what the smart engineers (current and future) can do.

:)

I would like to see the opposite side of what Senator describe. And the most important in my opinion.

Sure, they will be big or not so big changes. I was just picking up on the point about digital mics. When the veterans are talking about gear from 20 - 30 years ago, not that much was different with the mics. More T-power perhaps, but the core basics of a microphone haven't changed in years. Sennheiser's MKH technique was perhaps the biggest development in mics for quite some time. And that, too, hasn't prompted other manufacturers to jump on board.

Anyway, only time will tell

timecode generated by GPS (or other universal timebase method). All parts of the chain in sync all the time. (this could be here already). Further development of spread-spectrum RF technology to better utilize bandwidth for wireless. There was a discussion some time ago on this forum about fibre optic microphone systems (already in use in extreme environments, military, avionics). No more cable rubbing on a hidden lav. fibre woven into wardrobe. Optical cloaking methods to hide lav mics in plain sight (or hide a boom operator). Improved battery technologies in the very near future for less weight, better run times.

timecode generated by GPS

.. It already exists !

I don t like the idea an integrated recorder and wireless : i like to choose my brands and vary my gear.

What I would like above all : a mic that do not record noise clothing...

Probably not very far away, but I'd like to see a mixer with video recording capabilities. Like the PIX, but the form factor of 664.

There was (or still is) Rosendahl's Bonsai Drive. Although it's just a video/audio recorder, not a mixer.

I would not like to see that, btw. I would like to keep video where it belongs, and away from sound on set. I don't want to become the DIT who also does sound

Talking about wireless maybe the future is... better 2.4GHz or 5GHz (like Neutrik XIRIUM)

http://youtu.be/SnudYcodS0U

Impressive

Not sure why so many people are so excited about 2.4/5ghz for audio and other applicationsy There are so many problems associated with it (wifi just being the most common) that I would like to steer clear of it.

Not exactly "excited", but interesting.

I hope to escape from overcrowded (from "big players") and payable UHF wireless (because you use the "air").

UHF wireless will be here for half century (and maybe more), but in these years we will see better technology for 2.4GHz / 5GHz professional audio distribution.

Not exactly "excited", but interesting.

I hope to escape from overcrowded (from "big players") and payable UHF wireless (because you use the "air").

UHF wireless will be here for half century (and maybe more), but in these years we will see better technology for 2.4GHz / 5GHz professional audio distribution.

But 2.4 is overcrowded, too. Wifi, remote control units of all kinds, wireless video, Bluetooth, and so on, and this is certain to get way more crowded, incl. 5ghz which is getting crowded, too. Range is no good, either, as many of us know who have tried Zaxcom's IFB system (without all kinds of add-ons) or Sennheiser's 1G8 wireless (if that's the name).

Since it's on their own network; bandwidth is not the problem.

Range issues vary from other facts which you know.

I hope you see the video from Mr. Ginsburg.

I don't want to turn the discussion for Zaxcom (AGAIN), but many users has successful use on 2.4GHz without range issues (boosters?). This technology is newborn and it's under development for me. No reason to decline it from future.