Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

However, if I was a US customer who hopes to own a Sonosax recorder, I would be slightly pissed off with Zaxcom by now, but thats just me...

Some people think all things should be free -- except their own labors.

A company has not just the right, but also the responsibility, to protect their assets -- including intellectual property.

Some people think all things should be free -- except their own labors.

A company has not just the right, but also the responsibility, to protect their assets -- including intellectual property.

Yes, I can totally see Sonosax engineers gathered around a table plotting to steal Zaxcom technology...

Edited by Erkal Taskin

My comment had nothing to do with Sonosax per se, but is a comment on those who criticize patent holders for protecting their assets.

I don't think anyone was generalising like that.

Trip to EU, buying R4+ with 135 dB dynamic range. End of story. Everyone is happy and peaceful!

:)

I am guessing if its just a US patent then in theory even neighbouring countries could sell them?

Trip to EU, buying R4+ with 135 dB dynamic range. End of story. Everyone is happy and peaceful!

:)

I believe that there is nothing to stop you travelling abroad, and buying an 'unrestricted' unit. I believe that technically, in the eyes of the law, you are out of order if you import the patent infringing unit to the US. There is/will be, of course, the matter of 'will anyone know, or notice'? but I believe that in theory it could be an issue.

I do not know how these things are actually enforced though.

Kindest,

sb

Achieving higher dynamic range is not patentable, but HOW it is achieved is.

This is true.  The idea of using multiple SRC's in a device and letting it "choose" which one is "appropriate" for the signal level based on its calibration is not a new idea - Lavry did this years ago as well as manufacturers of Live Consoles.  The concept is not new or patentable.  But a unique way of doing it might be.  Of course, a lot depends on how much money you have and how good your patent attorneys are.

Putting it into a Production Sound context is a great idea!  I imagine the real trick has been implementation in a device that small with those types of power supplies.

Edited by minister

Why not just license NeverClip from Zaxcom for US units so that everyone gets the same machine and no one has to worry about infringement or breaking the law. Lots of companies license technology they use in their products when it is technology that is not theirs to use.

Ah, well, I never thought Glen wanted to license it out... 

Me neigher but it's not unusual that US people use gears over here in Europe that arn't approoved by the EU stamp. I'm thinking of Lectrosonics wireless mics for example.

Pat

Lectrosonics wireless systems are perfectly legal to use in Europe. 

Probably you mean higher rf power on some transmitters, but this is not specific to Lectro. Even Sennheiser (as an EU company) makes systems which must not be used in Europe

How does the  SX-R4+ perform in extreme weather conditions, ie sub-zero conditions,  deserted climate and humid tropical conditions? 

Mine's only been in a bit of rain so far (with a cover on), so hasn't exactly been pushed.  Still waiting on the covers for the SD card slots and can see stuff getting in those, especially in dusty conditions, so may have to tape them up

Other than that the build quality's similar to other sonosax machines which seem to have stood up to a fair bit of punishment

Mine's only been in a bit of rain so far (with a cover on), so hasn't exactly been pushed.  Still waiting on the covers for the SD card slots and can see stuff getting in those, especially in dusty conditions, so may have to tape them up
Other than that the build quality's similar to other sonosax machines which seem to have stood up to a fair bit of punishment

Thanks for the reply Richard. Will wait and see if anyone has put theirs through those conditions. Or should I be the one to test it in my next gig? *GULP*!

Can I ask why? You can still buy the Sonosax and it will still have a very good converter comparable to most other high quality recorders on the market.

Thats true, but you are being told what you can and cannot buy. Plus you have to get something that is different to everyone else around the world.

I would still definitely buy it, its just annoying...

Thats true, but you are being told what you can and cannot buy. Plus you have to get something that is different to everyone else around the world.

oh come on, it's always like that. With wireless it's even more obvious. But it's not restricted to our gear. E.g. in the EU or in the US certain products can not be sold if they don't comply to the rules. In fact, any product that doesn't comply cannot be sold in that country. 

oh come on, it's always like that. With wireless it's even more obvious. But it's not restricted to our gear. E.g. in the EU or in the US certain products can not be sold if they don't comply to the rules. In fact, any product that doesn't comply cannot be sold in that country. 

If by wireless, you mean the output power restrictions we have compared to the US, then I would say I am assuming that is there to serve a purpose which helps everyone, its a standard. 

Having said that, I am curious to know what would happen if Mr. Sonosax tried to patent his 'high dynamic range' technology here in Europe? :)

If by wireless, you mean the output power restrictions we have compared to the US, then I would say I am assuming that is there to serve a purpose which helps everyone, its a standard. 

No, I don't mean that. Not just that, anyway. As an example: The US beer Budweiser couldn't be sold in Germany (and I assume other european countries) for years, because there was another beer called Budweiser (Budvar) from the Czech Republic. They had a trademark on it. So we were deprived of the American beer. There are countless similar examples, why something can't be sold somewhere. 

Having said that, I am curious to know what would happen if Mr. Sonosax tried to patent his 'high dynamic range' technology here in Europe? :)

or what if Zaxcom did that? 

I don't think Sonosax would even be able to patent their tech. Zaxcom's patent would prevent that

No, I don't mean that. Not just that, anyway. As an example: The US beer Budweiser couldn't be sold in Germany (and I assume other european countries) for years, because there was another beer called Budweiser (Budvar) from the Czech Republic. They had a trademark on it. So we were deprived of the American beer. There are countless similar examples, why something can't be sold somewhere. or what if Zaxcom did that? 

I don't think Sonosax would even be able to patent their tech. Zaxcom's patent would prevent that

Yes copying brand name is a completely different issue I believe. If the Germans patented a beer fermenting process and stopped the sale of certain beers in Germany which were fermented with that process, that would be a better analogy to this issue.

I also do not think that the Germans are missing out on much if they are deprived from enjoying the complex subtleties of the American Budweiser beer :)

Is that really possible? Can a US patent do that in Europe as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone was generalising like that.

I am guessing if its just a US patent then in theory even neighbouring countries could sell them?

Soon it will include

• Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Malaysia
  • Mexico
  • Peru
  • Vietnam
  • Chile
  • Brunei
  • Singapore
  • New Zealand

So we were deprived of the American beer.

This made my day... (:

Thank You

Then maybe it's Sonosax that you should be upset with for hyping a product that they were not really in allowance to sell in the first place. Maybe they could have licensed the rights to use the technology, had they even tried. Zaxcom did nothing wrong in this scenario. I am still looking into the SX-R4+ even with the restriction, and I'm not upset with either party. But if I were, it wouldn't be Zaxcom.