Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

• 2 weeks later...

Dears,

We will have soon the otional outputs, on XLR 5 pin, switchable : 2 channels balanced, 4 channels oubalanced, 2 AES (4 channels digital).

Also, we will anonce soon the US version.

Hi Jax thanks for the information. Will the software update for mixing on the unit also be available at the same time ?

Lisala

Dears,

We will have soon the otional outputs, on XLR 5 pin, switchable : 2 channels balanced, 4 channels oubalanced, 2 AES (4 channels digital).

Also, we will anonce soon the US version.

That's quite a few more outputs than I expected on that connector, think that might be enough for me with the existing ones on the machine.

Jaques, will that be a factory installation on something users or dealers can do?

Are there still no plans for slate mic functionality?

Thanks,

C. 

I don't think there are, although there's no reason why a silent switch couldn't be added to a mic input and routed wherever 

Edited by Richard Thomas
added installation question

Here's a bit of an overview of using it so far:
http://rtsound.net/?p=444

Belated thanks for this Richard. Look forward to each and every update on this machine. Wondering now how the XLR5 / Dante-Ravenna choices might present themselves when the 8-box arrives: multiple outputs through two XLR 5s separately configured or one XLR5 running alongside Dante (assuming running the units linked obviously) ... or will it be either/or, or both (option) outputs running the same? Time will tell, but a nice solution for the XLR5 in the meantime.

Jez

Belated thanks for this Richard. Look forward to each and every update on this machine. Wondering now how the XLR5 / Dante-Ravenna choices might present themselves when the 8-box arrives: multiple outputs through two XLR 5s separately configured or one XLR5 running alongside Dante (assuming running the units linked obviously) ... or will it be either/or, or both (option) outputs running the same? Time will tell, but a nice solution for the XLR5 in the meantime.

Jez

I don't think it's an additional box, there's a blanked out XLR on the 'analogue' side of the machine, which will either have a 5pin XLR (with the switchable options Jacques explained before) or later, an RJ45 with Dante/AVB/Ravenna (16 I/O).  Don't think it'll be possible to have both (although I have suggested neutrik's new 10pin XLR, which is pin compatible with RJ45 and PoE)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is about NeverClip from Zaxcom. There was the possibility that Sonosax's implementation of extended dynamic range infringed on the patent Zaxcom has for the way NeverClip preamps are designed. Zaxcom suggested that Sonosax provide documentation and sample so that it could be determined if it did in fact infringe. Sonosax never submitted, as far as I know, but rather just announced that they would not be shipping to the US. It appears now that their design must have copied and infringed on the Zaxcom (US) patent. The re-design probably resolves this issue so that the SxR4+ will be available in the US. This is good news for everyone. Of course Sonosax could have licensed NeverClip from Zaxcom and sold the recorder here in the US the same as outside the US but I guess that was never considered an option. With or without the extended dynamic range I am sure the recorder from Sonosax will be a beautiful machine. I look forward to getting my hands on one in the future.

Perhaps the sonosax will be a good machine if it has 8 AES Ins "16 channels" with 4 of them being AES42 . All digital machine with Analog outputs. Especially for a cheaper price "since there is no analog front end".

I personally have no use for analog preams and inputs with or without never clip.  AES42 just simplifies everything.

Edited by RadoStefanov

Perhaps the sonosax will be a good machine if it has 8 AES Ins "16 channels" with 4 of them being AES42 . All digital machine with Analog outputs. Especially for a cheaper price "since there is no analog front end".

I personally have no use for analog preams and inputs with or without never clip.  AES42 just simplifies everything.

From what I gather in the newsletter they're disabling one of the ADCs per channel- "This modification is reversible for those who may leave the USA".  May even be a software thing.

The SX-R4+ has 10 channels of AES receivers in, 4 of them are shared between the accessory port and XLR ins, so in order to squeeze all 16 channels out, all the analogue inputs need to be used

Or maybe that there way of doing it is different and they don't wanna share the information. I neutral third party should have been brought in to verify both technologies without having any chance of proprietary information being shared. 

I understand patents and why they are here, especially in such a small industry but I can't help but wish everyone would open and share their technologies and patents so that all of us could enjoy them. 

I personally shared all of my ideas ( bag, mouthing brackets, rf distros, dc distros, drawer case, carts, battery charging suit case etc... ) so that everyone can built on those ideas and enjoy. Of course I am not a mfg so my purpose is not to make a living out of those ideas. 

It still makes me sad that it can't be done...

Or maybe that there way of doing it is different and they don't wanna share the information.

Now, this is Catch-22... Company A holds patent for something, Company B achieves the same thing in a different way, Company A asks B to show the hand, and then it is free to "modify" it's own design by bringing in something from what Company B has done... Now Company B can ask Company A to show their hand and so on and so forth. 

What if Sonosax went ahead and patented their way of doing it - if it is truly different from Zaxcom's way, then Sonosax should be free to register its own patent. 

ON another note, I don't believe the art and craft of achieving higher dynamic range can be patented. 

Of course Jack, if you use the same IC and resistor i did to make something and sell it in the market, i have a right to question your actions. 

Which is why what Pascal says seems valid to me - have a neutral entity with the requisite knowledge check on both ways of achieving the same thing for just this - are they the same or different and if so how same or how different. 

I guess Sonosax being so far away in Europe and a boutique small company would rather not sell what could lead to a patent war and subsequent visits to courts and hiring of lawyers etc... 

What Pascal dreams of is unachievable in a market-driven world. Of course, he negates himself when he says he is not a manufacturer and therefore is not driven by money from his unique or first-thought ideas.