Calling all New Yorkers - Fight to save The Cafe Edison

soundmanjohn

Hi,

For those of you that haven't heard, the owner of the building which houses the Cafe Edison (or The Polish Tea Rooms, if you like) plans to close it down and replace it with a fancy restaurant with a "name chef."

Even as someone who is only rarely in Manhattan, the Cafe Edison has always been a place where I've felt at home: basic food at basic prices in the heart of the city. Ira Glass, he of This American Life, feels pretty strongly about this and has started a web-site where you can post a message to the owner, asking him to reconsider: it's here if you want to add your voice: http://www.deargeraldbarad.com

Manhattan will always be in a state of flux and many of the institutions that I came to know and love in the 30-plus years that I've been visiting have long gone - I still mourn the loss of McHales, for example, - but some things are worth fighting for.

The hope that he might reconsider is faint, but if you also know someone famous who's an Edison regular, get them to join in and we might just change his mind.

Thanks for listening.

John

That is really cool.  Somehow despite being in the theater district constantly for work or visits to Pro-Sound, I never have been to Cafe Edison, and it seems like the kind of place I would love.  I'll try to get in there and use a few bucks to show my support this weekend.

Now if they close Eisenberg's, I'm gonna throw a tantrum.

e.

...and CBGB's...

Side note:

I know they gutted and saved pieces of CBGB's at the end because Hilly (the owner) was working on a deal to "move it" to Las Vegas when he died. It was packed away in a warehouse. The estate has since sold it to somebody else (I forget who), and the stage and walls behind and to the side of the stage, with all the graffiti and stickers, are temporarily(?) set up at Youtube's Brooklyn studio for an interview set. I've seen a few mixers post pictures of it. Very odd, but an interesting attempt to save an iconic venue.