Rode NTG-3

LSC just received its first shipment of Rode NTG-3 Shotgun Microphones. Our unscientific side-by-side test this morning with a 416 using a Sound Devices Mix Pre was a bit of a shock. To our ears (and there were four or five of us) the mics were sonically identical in almost every way. Cosmetically, the mic could almost pass for a 416 if not for the unique pattern on the interference tube end cap and feels just the slightest bit heavier. We knew that the folks at Rode were going after a  piece of the premium mic pie with a new product but, at $700.00, this mic is quite a revelation and a value. $750-$800 is the going rate for a used 416 in good shape. I can see this being a great option for those who want to buy a 416 0r MKH60 and just don't have the means. Or, as a back up for pretty much everyone. No chance yet to check it against any serious RF or Cell Phone interference but we will do that soon.  If you are a local, come on in and give it a listen.

Steve J.

LSC just received its first shipment of Rode NTG-3 Shotgun Microphones. Our unscientific side-by-side test this morning with a 416 using a Sound Devices Mix Pre was a bit of a shock. To our ears (and there were four or five of us) the mics were sonically identical in almost every way. Cosmetically, the mic could almost pass for a 416 if not for the unique pattern on the interference tube end cap and feels just the slightest bit heavier. We knew that the folks at Rode were going after a  piece of the premium mic pie with a new product but, at $700.00, this mic is quite a revelation and a value. $750-$800 is the going rate for a used 416 in good shape. I can see this being a great option for those who want to buy a 416 0r MKH60 and just don't have the means. Or, as a back up for pretty much everyone. No chance yet to check it against any serious RF or Cell Phone interference but we will do that soon.  If you are a local, come on in and give it a listen.

Steve J.

Exactly my impression hearing the same side by side test. Wonder how it stacks up against a CS3e?

Eric

• 3 months later...

I haven't heard the interference with iphones, nextels or walkies when using the NTG3 like I did when using the Schoeps CMIT5U and I really enjoy the brighter sound and greater threshold the NTG3 offers over the MKH416.

Scott,

Rode is having a year-end sale, the bummer is it does not apply to the NTG-3.when you purchase either a NTG1 or 2, You get a FREE windscreen style softie. good call on the Ntg-3 Scott, they are impressive for the price.

• 2 months later...

Here, ya go....

NTG-3 - New Shotgun Mic from Rode

Ty Ford

A $699 USD street, the new Australian-made Rode NTG-3 seems extremely well-placed for its price and performance. Like the Sennheiser 416, the NTG-3 is an RF-condenser that combines a somewhat sophisticated RF circuit with the capsule to reduce the deleterious effects of high humidity. Tricky to design, but worth the effort. That design element has contributed greatly to the 416’s “bullet proof” reputation and should do the same for the NTG-3.

FEATURES

The RF environment is growing significantly more hostile, though, and Rode seems to have taken shielding a bit farther than Sennheiser did back in 1974 when the MKH 416 came to market. Attention to the mechanical and electronic lay out of the NTG-3 including the surface mount technology (SMT), PCB layout, component selection and dual chamber design of the internal brass tube that appears to separate most of the circuitry from the tunable RF section and capsule, all contribute to RF resistance and mic performance.

The upper chamber and part of the lower chamber of the internal metal tube in which the circuitry and capsule sit is completely covered by a thin grounded metal mesh. Just behind the capsule a rubber o-ring in a small groove and one closer to the tip snug the internal metal tube inside the slotted outer tube. The internal tube runs the full length of the outer tube for increased shielding. A small foam plug a little over a half inch thick sits within the top of the internal tube to reduce popping. The extended upper section of the internal tube, above the capsule, has two rows of precision holes drilled on opposing sides covered with a thin fabric to mechanically filter the sound once it has already been filtered by the slots on the outer tube.

Rode also adds some further insurance by integrating their longer pin 1 ground pin into a very well designed grounding scheme. The XLR connector is not stock. The base is machined from solid brass. The ground pin is permanently mounted into that case. Pins two and three are isolated via Teflon bushings. All pins are gold-plated.

The Rode NTG-3 employs a line gradient supercardioid capsule. Output impedance is 25 Ohms. Sensitivity is listed at -30 dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (31.6 mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz, EIN noise is 13 dB-A and it can withstand 130 dB SPL. The 416 and NTG-3 share the same 13 dB-A selfnoise and sensitivity. At about a quarter inch longer and about the same weight as a 416, the NTG-3 weighs less than six ounces. Its matte champagne finish is not reflective.

It’s not unusual to have to roll the low end off on a 416 these days unless you’re in the middle of nowhere or in a studio. Sanken rolled off the bottom a bit with their CS-3e and Rode follows suit with the new NTG-3, so there’s not quite as much in the upper bass or lower midrange on the NTG-3. That makes the NTG-3 sound slightly crisper and brighter. More so when used very close. As you back it off, though, normal air diffusion makes any high-frequency differences between the two mics pretty unnoticeable. However, the fact that my 416 is over fifteen years old may suggest that it may not be as bright as it once was. Regardless, with a zep and a furry, of course, you’ll lose a bit of top end.

IN USE

The NTG-3 pattern is a little wider than the 416, with more gently sloping shoulders. This translates into a more forgiving pattern for two-shots, but you’ll also hear a bit more ambience. My 416 has a little spot about ninety degrees off axis where there’s a slight return of high frequencies. The NTG-3 does not. Both mics sound about the same from the rear. The NTG-3 sounded fine on my K-Tek carbon fiber boom with a Rycote Softie suspension mount. The NTG-3 had less low frequency boom handling noise, mostly because the 416 noise had more LF content due to its response.

After not picking up any interference with my Verizon cell phone sitting next to the NTG-3, I made a point of taking the NTG-3 to the mall with my location recorder and headphones to visit T-Mobile, the Apple store and AT&T. There was no interference, even with phones operating right next to the NTG-3. I was using Whirlwind Accusonic +2 cable and connectors. The shield was not tied to the XLR shells.

SUMMARY

The Rode NTG-3 appears to be a very solid piece of gear. The efforts to eliminate RF are noted and appreciated. I like the unique and very handy padded metal storage tube. The foam windbreaker and simple mic clip all add value to the package. I think you’ll be seeing NTG-3s show up in more kits soon. At the moment, I can’t see why not. Nice job Rode.

Technique, Inc. © copyright 2008

Ty Ford is on permanent loan from Radio World and Pro Audio Review. He may be reached at www.tyford.com.

FAST FACTS

Application: Film, ENG/EFP audio.

Key features: Designed to withstand today’s harsh RF environments.

Price: $699 USD Street.

Rode

www.rodemic.com