Odd way to get a gig.

jason porter

So, I replaced a mixer the other day on a new "reality/reno show" because he was apparently overzealous with his RM remote app. I'm serious.

I only did a few days as they had another guy booked for the following week.

I got a call yesterday asking if I was available because the current replacement doesn't own any of those "small lav mics" (smv) and his recording system isn't really what they need or want.

I wasn't available.

So finnicky.

wow… thats an odd thing for someone to get replaced for. usually i find talent/crew to be pretty wow'd by it and fairly amused. but i'm sure theres a threshold of too much. i try not to keep my volume too loud and if its going to take a lot of fiddling then i'll just go for the transmitter. but usually when we break for a bit or talent wants to be "off" i'll zap them. I've also had talent that already had the app and would sleep and wake themselves as needed, although I wasn't a huge fan of this. I guess some people can just get rubbed the wrong way by things.

So, I replaced a mixer the other day on a new "reality/reno show" because he was apparently overzealous with his RM remote app. I'm serious.

[snip]

The RM (or RM app) can be turned down to pretty low levels if you can get moderately close to the mic. The SM has the equivalent of AGC applied to the dweedle tone path to bring the tone up to internally useful levels. If you can get within a few inches of the lavaliere, the dweedle tone can be so low as to barely hear it. The dweedle tone does need to be on the order of the level of other room noise at the lavaliere. But if you are close to the lavaliere, that can still be a very low level at your ear or the talent's ear. My advice is to play with it during off time to get a feel for the range at low levels. YIMV (Inches)

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I keep it very low. Otherwise if there's another mic nearby, that one will change too. I only turn it up for group powering off (usually in a car).

It'd take some pretty crazy overuse to have this be the issue. The issue might have been the constant tweaking, not the method of tweaking. Which in turn indicates other issues with the mixer.

It's never quite as simple as it's put.

Hopefully the other mixer finds out what the problem was, and can learn from it.