RX12 mini-review

John Bauman

I recently had the chance to take the RX12 with me on a job. I don’t intend this to be any sort of definitive review, just my opinions after a day spent with the device. Before I get to my findings, let me preface with a little background on my experience with Zaxcom wireless.

In late summer or 2013, I decided to assemble a new wireless system. I chose Zaxcom for several reasons. Two at the very top of the list were AES outputs and wireless range. At the time, the QRX100 was advertised as capable of delivering 32k-192k sampling. The company also claimed that the QRX100 would experience very little, if any, loss in range when used in dual mode. It turned out that the QRX only delivered 32k, so the specs in the manual were inaccurate. This meant I had to scrap AES all together. My experience with dual mode has, until recently, varied from inconsistent to unusable. I write this so the reader will understand: I am not predisposed in favor of Zaxcom wireless.

Fast forward to the RX12. The unit makes a very favorable first impression. It is nothing short of elegant. The buttons feel responsive and the chassis solid. Once powered on, the screen is bright and easy for me to read. The home screen has all the pertinent information easily visible.

I found the menu structure to be both simple and intuitive. It is elegant, like the exterior. Features like AES normal/swapped and Dual/Single mode are easily accessed from each receiver’s home screen. The RF scanning screen is smartly presented, with the 35mhz spread clearly colored. The spread can be manually adjusted with the turn of a knob. This function, along with the zoom out feature, allows the user to build a contiguous scan of multiple blocks. Once the scan is complete, the RX12 will present its twelve frequency choices on the “Auto-Pick” screen. These will all be within the 35mHz spread, which the user selected. They appear to be given in numerical order, rather than cleanest frequency first. Users can forgo Auto-Pick and manually scroll through the completed scan. I would suggest Zaxcom add more levels to the “zoom in” function to make manual selection easier.

My work day was spent on a stage at MBS, so the environment was possibly more RF friendly than elsewhere. The transmitters were inside the fuselage of a Gulfstream, with me about 20 yards away. I was using the current Zaxcom blue-fin antennas and 15’ RG58 cables. Whether in single or dual mode, the RX12 gave me clean sound. I even used an older Goldline transmitter (50mW max) with the RX set to single mode. Since 20 yards isn’t all that impressive, we did a walk test to the farthest corners of the stage. Regardless of which transmitter was tested, the signals remained strong. In all cases, I never heard a single drop out.

The only missing element for me is Dante, especially with the Deva32 reported to include it. Perhaps, in lieu of a sixth QRX212, Zaxcom could offer an I/O module with Dante.

Out of the box, I think the RX12 is superb. Moving forward, I think its modular design will make it scalable and extend its longevity. On a personal level, I can’t help feeling as though this device delivers on promises made of the QRX100, particularly if the digital sampling rate is greater than 32k (software rev. 3.50 introduced 96kHz, so there is reason to believe it is).

I’d like to thank Trew Audio L.A., and in particular Ryan Coomer, for allowing me the opportunity to take the RX12 for a spin.

post-4457-0-34850900-1419035928_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have to use ZAXNET REMOTE? How to use?

No, you are not required to use zaxnet. In my setup, I have some Zaxnet functions through my IFB200<->Deva, which are connected together via Timecode. I cannot change frequencies with the Deva, only with the IFB200 and therefore only one transmitter at a time.

If you have a Nomad, however, you can use its Zaxnet/IFB function to change all transmitters at once.

No, you are not required to use zaxnet. In my setup, I have some Zaxnet functions through my IFB200<->Deva, which are connected together via Timecode. I cannot change frequencies with the Deva, only with the IFB200 and therefore only one transmitter at a time.

If you have a Nomad, however, you can use its Zaxnet/IFB function to change all transmitters at once.

Anyway, using the IFB200 in combination with your DEVA, you're still able to remote TX gain using the DEVA Knobs, is it right?

I'm planning to built a similar setup (using my Fusion) and I'd like to ask you if you're finding a little unpractical to deal with another toy (the IFB200) just for Zaxnet functions (beside the fact you can change only one TX at the time, I'm also thinking to simple things, like other cable messing around, an other device to place somewhere, etc), especially for situation when you're switching often from cart to bag mode.

Thanks,

v.

Anyway, using the IFB200 in combination with your DEVA, you're still able to remote TX gain using the DEVA Knobs, is it right?

I'm planning to built a similar setup (using my Fusion) and I'd like to ask you if you're finding a little unpractical to deal with another toy (the IFB200) just for Zaxnet functions (beside the fact you can change only one TX at the time, I'm also thinking to simple things, like other cable messing around, an other device to place somewhere, etc), especially for situation when you're switching often from cart to bag mode.

Thanks,

v.

yes, the gain knobs on the Deva work with the IFB200.

In terms of practicality, I use the IFB200 to send to my ERX as well as for Zaxnet. It works well for my cart setup. I rarely work out of a bag, but others here do, and may be able to offer some insight. When I do use a bag, I forgo the IFB200.

Yes, the knobs on either a Deva or a Fusion can become Zaxnet transmitter gain controls with the use of either an IFB100 or an IFB200.   The selection is on an input by input basis, available in the recorder's menus.

Whether or not you would find it practical to use this setup in a bag is entirely up to what you, personally, find practical.  I prefer using a Deva on my cart and a Nomad for bag work, although I've successfully done the opposite with both.

There are those who are okay with slugging around a large mixer and a dozen individual receivers along with all the associated gear necessary for such a rig.  Then, there are those who consider that a MixPre, along with a two channel receiver, is their dream rig.  Where you fall on a scale between those two extremes should help you decide how you should gear up.

yes, the gain knobs on the Deva work with the IFB200.

In terms of practicality, I use the IFB200 to send to my ERX as well as for Zaxnet. It works well for my cart setup. I rarely work out of a bag, but others here do, and may be able to offer some insight. When I do use a bag, I forgo the IFB200.

But this way you lose the ability to remote control anything on your TXs where you're in bag-mode...

Yes, the knobs on either a Deva or a Fusion can become Zaxnet transmitter gain controls with the use of either an IFB100 or an IFB200.   The selection is on an input by input basis, available in the recorder's menus.

Whether or not you would find it practical to use this setup in a bag is entirely up to what you, personally, find practical.  I prefer using a Deva on my cart and a Nomad for bag work, although I've successfully done the opposite with both.

There are those who are okay with slugging around a large mixer and a dozen individual receivers along with all the associated gear necessary for such a rig.  Then, there are those who consider that a MixPre, along with a two channel receiver, is their dream rig.  Where you fall on a scale between those two extremes should help you decide how you should gear up.

Yes, John, you're absolutely right.

It's only because I'm using my Fusion and Zaxcom wireless for years now and I'm feeling good with them.

Just trying to understand how these new entries could come in my setup and what's the pro and cons not only in their features but also in the simply daily applications.

Thanks,

vale.

If you are using  all 8 inputs another option would be to assign the virtual faders to zaxnet trim, the only problem is that even with the virtual fader in maximum position the maximum transmitted gain is somthing like 36db, whereas the knobs give you the actual max 52db gain of the TXs... I suppose that's another bug that will be never corrected on Fusion/Deva that we will have to live with

If you are using all 8 inputs another option would be to assign the virtual faders to zaxnet trim, the only problem is that even with the virtual fader in maximum position the maximum transmitted gain is somthing like 36db, whereas the knobs give you the actual max 52db gain of the TXs... I suppose that's another bug that will be never corrected on Fusion/Deva that we will have to live with

Have you ever submitted it as a feature request to Zsxcom?

Have you ever submitted it as a feature request to Zsxcom?

I did in the past... but as efksound said it is a bug that I also guess it will be never corrected, since the Deva/Fusion firmware development was abandoned a lot of time ago (last firmware was released in 2012).

Recently I've experienced an other couple of bugs I reported to Zaxcom, but this is not the thread to discuss them without going off topic.

If you are using  all 8 inputs another option would be to assign the virtual faders to zaxnet trim, the only problem is that even with the virtual fader in maximum position the maximum transmitted gain is somthing like 36db, whereas the knobs give you the actual max 52db gain of the TXs... I suppose that's another bug that will be never corrected on Fusion/Deva that we will have to live with

you can not assign vitual fader #9-#12 without overwriting hardware fader #1-#4. I wanted to use Zaxnet gain on 10 TRX + 1x742. Didnt work. Only 8 TRX were possible.

Also: fader 8 still controls headphone volume when it is actually assigned to Zaxnet TX#8

you can not assign vitual fader #9-#12 without overwriting hardware fader #1-#4. I wanted to use Zaxnet gain on 10 TRX + 1x742. Didnt work. Only 8 TRX were possible.

Also: fader 8 still controls headphone volume when it is actually assigned to Zaxnet TX#8

Also: if using all wireless coming into Fusion Digital Inputs there's no way to remote control gain of TX n.8 by a Fusion knob or virtual fader because its ID (it has to be 16 if it is in digital input number eight) cannot be handled by Fusion. Howy's words.