32GB Transcend 133x CF Card with deva fusion

fatfatjames

James, are you having a problem with one??

what are Zaxcom's spec's ??

perhaps you need to contact Zaxcom?? and discuss it with them...

there are hundreds of cards out there, and their costs currently make them pretty much expendable items, so if you buy one that meets the Zaxcom spec's for your recorder, and it doesn't work well (generally that would be highly unlikely) you could use it in your snap-shot camera!!

if it truly does not work (crap does happen!) then if it is a reputable vendor, it will be covered by warranty!

BTW, most of the many cards all come from just a couple of actual factories...

name brands, and premium lines typically have a bit better QC, warranty, and customer service, and come with a higher price;  professional users have no problem with that, and so professionals often buy the name brands and premium lines, after all it is a business expense, and their livelihood is involved.

if it meets Zaxcom's specifications, (you can verify that detail with Zaxcom!) and is not faulty, it should work, right??

if it is faulty, there is a warranty, right?? if it is a reputable company, they will take care of it.

you can always buy one, or a couple, and try them out, before committing to dozens of them...CF cards are pretty reasonably priced in most locales...

and of course remember the rule: "generally speaking, you get what you pay for"

all the best...

Ask over on the Yahoo Deva group to be sure. Howy knows this stuff backwards and forwards.

Transcend makes mostly low-cost products, but I haven't heard of any problems with them except that their CF cards are slow. This shouldn't be a problem while recording on a Fusion, but it could slow you down when you need to copy the files later on to a DVD-RAM disk or another hard drive.

--Marc W.

I think the Transcends should work fine, but you should probably check with Howy or Glenn Sanders (or your Deva dealer) to be 100% sure. Edit: Oops, I see that Brent above has said they're OK, so that's pretty definitive.

Sound Devices has a very good run-down on current Compact Flash card speeds, which is here:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/file-formats/cf-speeds/

The real issue I think is not so much how well the card will work with the Fusion, but how long it's going to take to get the files off the card and onto a hard drive (or a deliverable DVD-RAM disk). The Transcends aren't too bad, but the ones to really avoid are the cheap A-Data cards, which are really slow (in some cases, only 1/4th as fast as the Transcends). I'm using a Kingston 4GB in my Deva 5.8 right now, but it's definitely as slow as molasses when copying to a PC. I haven't used it much, since I've typically been using the hard drive and DVD-RAM only. I'll probably replace it with a Transcend 133X 32GB at some point, hopefully when prices drop some more.

--Marc

I dont remember any such restriction being made as regards to membership of the Deva users group.

I have never seen anything that states that you have to have registered as a Deva owner or similar.

Most members of the Deva users group are Zaxcom customers, but that is to be expected.

James - I think that if you email colleen@zaxcom.com, she will get you on to the group.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

You have to register your Deva (or Zaxcom hardware) in order to be invited to their Yahoo group. I believe an email with your serial number to info@zaxcom.com will get you in.

--Marc

I dont remember any such restriction being made as regards to membership of the Deva users group.

I have never seen anything that states that you have to have registered as a Deva owner or similar.

Simon B

Gee, I've tried to join the Deva Users group, several times and always been refused because I didn't personally own a Deva.  I've even asked Glenn face to face because I thought I might have some insight for users of the machines.  His answer was "buy a Deva".

-----Courtney

I am a bit gobsmacked to hear that Courtney.

It must be about 10 or more years ago that I bought my first Deva. It was a Deva 1 but on the day that I received it (first in the UK) Zax announced the Deva 2 (a largely cosmetic upgrade). Not long after that Jon Coffey came to London on vacation. He came to visit me on set, and we spoke then of starting a Deva users group. He beat me to it and set it up on his return to the USA. I have never ever heard or been told that one had to be a Deva 'owner' to be on the group.

Some years ago JC decided to back off from administering the group, and Colleen became more involved. I believe that she does most of the administration now.

I will ask if she might confirm quite what the current 'criteria' are for being a member of the group.

It would seem crazy to me to exclude interested parties - what about folks that dont own a Deva, but may well want to hire one.

If I am out of date then apologies, but my understanding was that one did not have to be an owner to be on the group.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Gee, I've tried to join the Deva Users group, several times and always been refused because I didn't personally own a Deva.  I've even asked Glenn face to face because I thought I might have some insight for users of the machines.  His answer was "buy a Deva".

-----Courtney

As I and many others have pointed out that the various Zaxcom user groups are the only groups in our industry that doesn't allow anyone to join. This is not new information.

I can think of a few other groups that are open only to union members, and also groups to which you have to be invited (particularly among cinematographers), so they are out there.

When I asked about the group last year at NAB (three months before I bought a Deva), Glenn gave me the impression that he had a bad experience on RAMPS some years back, and felt the only way to control the Zaxcom group was to make it open only to customers. I can understand his decision, given the very hostile comments that went on during some of the RAMPS discussions over the years (like Zaxcom vs. Letro wireless, Deva undelivered features, etc.). Even among the customers, things can and do get heated sometimes, but I've generally been very impressed with how Glenn and Howy handle complaints and suggestions on their products.

I've been on the net a long time (almost 28 years, starting with Compuserve), and sadly, there's always a sh!t-disturber out there -- trolls, gadflys, pundits -- who seem to exist only to heckle onlookers, yell loud opinions, and otherwise act like morons. It can quickly turn into a "Monty Python Argument Dept." kind of situation, where nobody wins.

--Marc