Do you pick winter/rain clothes by their noisiness?

DanieldH

Topic pretty much says it.

My experience with all the functional outdoor sports stuff is, the more rainproof and stiff the outer fabric is, the noisier it gets.

What do you wear booming/close2camera in harsh weather conditions to avoid noise (and advise Camerapeople etc to do also)?

I have discovered that the noise the rain is making as it fell on the set was far more than my clothing noise. This may vary, of course with the amount of rain you are experiencing.

Which is especially relevant when there is no rain, but snow or it's simply cold. I simply ask everyone on set to move as little as possible, especially for close-ups and sometimes I ask them to take off their jackets. Often, these outdoor jacket arrangements are accompanied by a second fleece jacket which is really quiet. Depending on the temperature/rain this may work for a while.

At some point however, health is more important than sound

i'm a big fan of sitka gear. they are primarily a hunt clothing manufacturer. i haven't ponied up to buy any yet but the stormfront pants and jacket have been on my wish list for quite a while now, but at $1200 a set, its a tough pill to swallow. They are amazing shells and are a soft/quiet material. However, when you've worked in 33 degrees and pouring rain, you'd almost pay any amount to be comfortable...

I remember Simon Hayes recounting the story behind the silhouette photo of the actor, handheld camera crew - and Arthur Fenn his boom op and a cable guy behind him. He said he had to request most of the crew on this shot to get rid of noisy extreme weather clothes and they gracefully complied. 

-vin

I spent a lot of time shopping for my rain pants. Everyone in each of the stores I went in must have thought I was crazy to be walking around rubbing and listening to each option. In the end, I found a super comfortable (and very quiet) pair by Marmot. Money well spent.

http://marmot.com/products/details/palisades-pant-new

• 1 month later...

I remember Simon Hayes recounting the story behind the silhouette photo of the actor, handheld camera crew - and Arthur Fenn his boom op and a cable guy behind him. He said he had to request most of the crew on this shot to get rid of noisy extreme weather clothes and they gracefully complied.

-vin

Sorry, to being this old thread back to life, but it's particularly relevant to me today, ad we're shooting outside in the cold, and the entire (moving) steadycam crew wears very noisy clothes.

To support my argument, Vin, have you got that picture somewhere (or is it that I just can't see it on Tapatalk?) or do you know the name of that movie? Behind the scenes or something... anything, really?

Thanks a lot!

Topic pretty much says it.

My experience with all the functional outdoor sports stuff is, the more rainproof and stiff the outer fabric is, the noisier it gets.

What do you wear booming/close2camera in harsh weather conditions to avoid noise (and advise Camerapeople etc to do also)?

i avoid velcro.

Polartec Neo Shell is a 100% waterproof soft shell material. Being a soft shell it is very breathable, stretchy, and generally quiet. Unlike hard shells like Gore-Tex. But Neo Shell is different from other soft shells in that it remains waterproof and garments all have to be seam taped and zips are waterproof too. Marmot and Eddie Bauer make some very nice Neo Shell garments.

When I'm booming i'm very continuous of the noise my clothing makes, and will choose my wardrobe accordingly. Also aware of the light and reflections, so quiet dark colored clothing it is when near talent.

When mixing at a cart, it's not such a big deal.

Recently I bought a new down mountaineering coat, and the deciding factor between the two I was considering was noise. One was incredibly noisy, and I knew I couldn't stand wearing it, so I bought the quieter coat.