Fixing the Sennheiser HD25 connection problem

Vincent R.

it's an inelegant design - or a design that did not take into consideration heavy outdoor use, physical and environmental bashing, etc. 

the reason people change the cable (first) is because it is FAR expensive to change the FEMALE part which is embedded in the cup which also houses the transducer and therefore is the price to pay. 

obviously the cable change does not alleviate the issue. 

i gave up on trying to 'tweak' the 'FEMALE' part of the connector system in the HD25-i II ...

The HD26 is fine. Sound exactly the same, a bit more comfy and a little more isolation ime. But my hd25s have been run over by a car and the only thing I need to do once in a while is to nudge the cable a bit..

Sorry don't agree, I don't think the HD26's sound as good, they are less precise, and no more comfy but heavier, more difficult to put on with one hand, and the HD25 'nudge the cable a bit' will always happen at a very inconvenient time.

It's a great shame as the HD25's are the best for the combination of good sound and ergonomics, that is apart from, the one serious unsolvable design flaw - the dammed intermittent connection.

I had to stop using them after years of struggling with intermittent connections (I've got 4 pairs) because I couldn't stand it any more.

I use HD26's now, but they're not as good. imho.

It might work for a while until the next time it stops working, which will be at the most inconvenient time! This is a design fault in professional headphones which Sennheiser have not addressed properly for many years.

HD II's changed the blades from aluminum to gold plated but it did not stop the connection failing after a period of time of location use.

One might have hoped that it would not have been beyond the wit of a fairly big German audio company like Sennheiser to have solved this, but apparently it is, despite having received complaints about it for maybe a decade or more!

It's a real shame because in every other way these headphones are the best I've used, for location recording, but I had to finally give up using them.

• 5 years later...

Bought a new pair of hd25s. However, my old hd25 Light, the cable started having problems. Was thinking of changing them but I can’t seem to pull out the cable’s connectors. They’re in so tight I’m afraid I’d break them pulling them out. I’ve seen vids with ppl pulling the connections out with ease. I’ve tried using pliers but feared they’d break the connectors. Anyone have a resolution?