Hello All,

This topic is being discussed on other forums and Facebook pages, so I am duplicating this announcement here on JWSound to give it proper community awareness.

On Dec 17th Trew Audio received notice from the Certification Bureau of Industry Canada that there are no IC approvals for Zaxcom wireless transmitters, and therefor their sale and import in Canada are prohibited. ("IC" is the radio approval agency of Canada, similar to the FCC in the US). It's not that approvals had been denied; certification had never been applied for. Sorry to keep everyone wondering what was going on, but I decided to delay a public explanation until we knew what Zaxcom's intentions were. Plus, today is the first time I have been aware of this thread.

Upon receiving this notification on Dec 17th, Trew Audio immediately removed these items from inventory at our Canadian stores, publicly announced that they were not for sale in Canada, and notified Zaxcom that IC approval would have to be granted before we would sell Zaxcom products again in Canada.

While IC listed only four RF transmitter models as being in violation, in the interest of time, and because so many other Zaxcom products incorporate transmitters internally (IFB, camera hops, and Zaxnet), and are integral parts for controlling these devices, to be safe and to demonstrate the desire to comply we ceased the sale all Zaxcom products in Canada, though some products were probably not in violation.

I was told by Zaxcom on December 26th that they would start the process for IC approval, and expected it to take two to three weeks. Since Zaxcom already has some FCC and EU approvals, and since this is about the amount of time WisyCom needed to get their IC approvals, I think three weeks is possible.

Regarding the continued use of Zaxcom transmitters in Canada by customers who already have them: Since these devices operate in frequency ranges and output powers approved in Canada for the intended use, and have been shown to comply with the minimum requirements of the FCC (which often mirrors IC requirements), it is reasonable to deduce that they also meet IC standards and will cause no problems prohibited by law.

Trew Audio will be sure to make a public announcement when the needed IC approval has been granted.

repairs are a concern.  one of my qrx100 units is affected again by the "green screen of death".  sometimes one reboot will do,  sometimes a dozen or more.  could easily send it in for repair,  may not get it back until the approvals are in place. can't afford to be without it,  even in its hobbled state.  have asked about implementing local repairs, but that topic has been a non-starter in the past

could easily send it in for repair, may not get it back until the approvals are in place.

You mean they would deliberately keep it until the approval has been obtained? That seems highly unlikely.

I remember one of those Zaxcom repairs in Canada threads and I seem to remember that Trew Audio would be able to carry those out

There is no problem with repairs or customers operating the gear. It is only sale of transmitters that are effected. As Glen posted we expect this to be settled by around mid January.

Glenn

there is that pesky element of the border to contend with.  if I send a unit for repair,  it seems to me that I would come under the statute of importing an item without a certificate, when the unit returns.  I am happy to send my qrx100 unit for repair.  if I end up in jail for a year and being someone's bitch, there will be hell to pay.  but you know best.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01698.html

there is that pesky element of the border to contend with. if I send a unit for repair, it seems to me that I would come under the statute of importing an item without a certificate, when the unit returns. I am happy to send my qrx100 unit for repair. if I end up in jail for a year and being someone's bitch, there will be hell to pay. but you know best.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01698.html

When you send the unit to Trew (or someplace similar) in Canada and they can't repair it, they would send it to Zax. There is a way to send something across borders, without incurring duty, legally. It's specifically for repairs. It's similar to a Carnet and you could also try doing the paperwork yourself or let Trew and then Zaxcom (for the return) deal with it.

Besides, I am pretty certain that owning the receiver is not a problem. Glenn said that only transmitters are a problem. So your QRX receiver should be fine

When you send the unit to Trew (or someplace similar) in Canada and they can't repair it, they would send it to Zax. There is a way to send something across borders, without incurring duty, legally. It's specifically for repairs. It's similar to a Carnet and you could also try doing the paperwork yourself or let Trew and then Zaxcom (for the return) deal with it.

Besides, I am pretty certain that owning the receiver is not a problem. Glenn said that only transmitters are a problem. So your QRX receiver should be fine

if everything goes as planned,  you are correct.  my qrx100 happens to be the ifb version,  so it is technically a transmitter as well.  the customs people have great discretionary powers and can "hold" an item for "clarification".  this can take between a day and ten days - they are civil service employees, after all. until the certification process is complete, there would be a red flag that appears if they search their files for "zaxcom". 

the other headache is that my zaxcom consignment items with trew have been delisted,  until certification.  I was going to add another qrx200 to my kit but the zaxcom shelf at trew is now empty. 

it would be very nice if trew could fix some zaxcom wireless items - any items.  but that is not the case. 

The certification process has been started and is in progress right now - the holidays slightly delayed things but given that everything should be finalized very soon. It is in everyone's best intrest to get things up to muster so there is no feet dragging.

Thanks, Jack. Good to have information on the progress, even if it comes from you and Grover.

gt

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I noticed that Trew Audio still has the notice up on their website about Zaxcom wireless not being sold in Canada - I was looking up info on the Micplexer 2.

Does anyone know if there has been any progress towards certification with Industry Canada since last year?

Maybe the Harper government laid off all the people who could do it , as is their won't!  :mellow:

Regards,

Jim Rillie

• 2 weeks later...