MKH 50, Shockmount and Windscreen

Caio

I always considered the MKH50 an interior mic.  I guess if you have no "exterior" mics, you might need a blimp but . . .

I used them in a Rycote Lyre suspension and if I needed anything more than the Sennheiser foam pop screen, I used a Rycote softie. Seemed to work well when I needed the 50 out doors (rarely).  Way cheaper than either a Ball Gag or a blimp.  The 50 isn't particularly sensitive to handling noise so no need, IMHO, for a super suspension.  The Lyres worked every day for years with no problems.  Still have them for my 20s, 40s and 30s even though I sold my 50s a while back.  No more breakfast burritos for me thanks! :)

D.

17 hours ago, tourtelot said:

I always considered the MKH50 an interior mic.  I guess if you have no "exterior" mics, you might need a blimp but . . .

So do I. The ONLY time i used it outdoors was in the VERY quiet space in a valley up in the Himalayas. And that too not all the time... 

I've used the MKH50 in some hybrid situations such as shooting in a garage with the garage door open. The actors were mostly inside the garage but once in awhile stepped outside for a moment. Wind wasn't bad though and my Super Softie did the trick perfectly. 

I agree though the 50 is primarily an indoor mic. 

-Mike

I use my 50 outside all the time. Actually, I have one that lives in a Rycote WS2. My other 2 are on indoor mounts. The super softie works in very light wind or for quick moves. It's the first mic I reach for on any occasion, and if it somehow doesn't give me what I need, I go to the 8060 or 416. Used to have CMITs for outdoors, but found I used them rarely.

To each their own.

I don't do much scripted but I quite like the 50 outdoors so long as the head room is not crazy. It has great off axis rejection, is wide enough to be forgiving in a group situation and quiet enough to push the gain when needed, I use mine with an invision/leo or a supershield. After that i'm on a cs3e.