best ever microphone cable

soundtrane

» L-4E-6S & 5C SERIES Single Channel, Braided Copper Shield (>95% & > 96% shielding, 6mm ad 4.8mm Outer Dia - OD

» L-4E-5AT & 6AT SERIES Single Channel, Aluminium Foil Shield (100% shielding, 5mm and 6.5mm OD)

Which one of these would you suggest?

Thank you,

-vin

Aluminum foil shield is for a permenent installation, it won't stand up to the coiling and flexing of field use. Use the braided shield for "combat" conditions.

Eric

Guest Eric Lamontagne

I have so much Canare L4E6S it's not even funny, no laughing. The latest batch was red and yellow but man it sure is stiff when it's new. I have some older black cable same model and it's like butter!

I've tried Gotham star quad with success, a deal at almost half price.

Anyone big into Mogami?

Good luck

Eric

I have the Gotham and Mogami snake cable, haven't tried the star quad mic cable.

If the jacketing on the Mogami mic cable is the same as their Snake cable, I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis. Not as robust as Canare, it slices way to easily.

Gotham cable at half price of Canare?? I think you got a heck of a deal there Eric! Gotham is generally more expensive ( being Swiss made )

Here's a Tip for everyone..

Guitar Center has many numerous (25ft, 50ft, ect) sizes of Mogami cables with Netrik connectors.  I use these till they break.  We all know these XLR cables drag all over the place and get trampled and pulled on in just about ever job.  Since they have "Lifetime Warranties" I just keep taking them back over and over again.  I keep 2 of all sizes, and rotate them out if one breaks.

-Richard

I am completely wireless now including my boompole so I rarely ever get a cable beat up. The only time I cable anymore is for sitdown interviews with my boom on a C-Stand. I have had some Trew Audio cables for many years and never had any issue with one yet. But good to know about guitar center

The thinner version of the Canare StarQuad cable, L-4E5C, works fine. As well as the thicker stuff or better in my opinion. It's what I use for all the wiring on my cart. The added flexibility and space savings it offers combined with the lower price per foot make it a good choice

To be truthful, I often treat mic cable as an expendable. But I have 15+ year old L-4E5C that is still fine.

Being an East Coast, boom cable on the outside guy, I use the quad Mogami spiral shield cable for that application. The jacket is more flexible in cold weather and is quieter when handled. It doesn't last nearly as long or wear nearly as well as the Canare L-4E5SC but is such a small part of my total investment in wire in general that I have no issue with the shorter life cycle.

Best regards,

Jim

Anyone using BELDEN

1172A -

https://edeskv2.belden.com/Products/index.cfm?event=showproductdetail&partid=3776&ins=&cnum=0&l_dspflag=2

OR

1192A -

https://edeskv2.belden.com/Products/index.cfm?event=showproductdetail&partid=3776&ins=&cnum=0&l_dspflag=2

-vin

Both links bring up the 1172 spec sheet.

Eric

I use the Belden quad stars, and have been for around 12 or 13 years, I think.  IMHO, the jacket is more durable than the Canaire, while being just as flexible.

Anyone using BELDEN

1172A -

OR

1192A -

-vin

Lately I've been doing the same; experimenting with cables made by Audio Technica.  The quality is high, they have a "lifetime" warranty, and are priced at half of what I could build them myself for.  So far the warranty has been a non-issue as nome of them have failed.

Here's a Tip for everyone..

Guitar Center has many numerous (25ft, 50ft, ect) sizes of Mogami cables with Netrik connectors.  I use these till they break.  We all know these XLR cables drag all over the place and get trampled and pulled on in just about ever job.  Since they have "Lifetime Warranties" I just keep taking them back over and over again.  I keep 2 of all sizes, and rotate them out if one breaks.

-Richard