Interesting Stereo (?) Imaging - Bill Frisell

Dave

Hi All,

Was checking out this Bill Frisell concert on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loMqVClAWz4

Had my head in the sweet spot (equilateral triangle between left and right speakers). I noticed that the guitar seemed to appear right in front of me - and very forward, as if coming right to me.  If i move my head slowly between the speakers, I can hear a very narrow but distinct centre. Not sure if I'm hearing a stereo mix or dual mono - nonetheless an interesting feeling that the instruments/music is coming right to me, as opposed to feeling distant coming from the stage.

Curious to see what y'all might hear.  Thanks.

Cheers,

Dave

The mostly mid-high bite of the steel string transient lends itself well to a rock center image whether mono or actual stereo recording. Very few engineers actually record in stereo, so most likely mino or mono with stereo reverb at best. When the guitar comes in on pink floyd's wish you were here is always a nice way to demo a good system to someone not used to listening to speakers that can actually image in sitting in the sweet spot.

Thank you, Dave.

It was quite an experience , but the mixer- who is the mixer, do you know?!

The sound image seems stereo through my MacPro but I think because is so up front overall , I think it was mono recorded. Well done!

Cheers, from Toronto

Curious to see what y'all might hear.

What I hear sounds more like two track than actual stereo. That's because the FOH mixer isn't using any stereo pairs, he's just mixing together all the individual mics on stage. Panning individual mics across the range from left to right isn't really stereo, but it can sound pretty good if done well (and that's about all you can get from a studio recording anyway, so nearly all popular music is created just this way).

The recording technique used for this video sounds like what I hear from "tapers" (people who go to concerts and record the music (yes, legally with permission, most of 'em)) using a technique called "point at stacks" where they make a quasi-stereo recording by pointing their two mics (usually a pair of hypers) at the stacks of loudspeakers on either side of the stage. It's a pretty effective technique actually -- does a good job of capturing the venue. If, of course, they are doing this near the FOH mixer, but that's usually where management lets them work anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill used to allow low-profile taping (no mic stand, mics on clothing) but that was years ago.  Now he has stated no taping at all.  

This is a multicam, and semi- to pro-shot.  The audio may a mix of a board feed and room mics.  Looks like someone got their signals crossed, though.