Matching microphone sounds from outdoor to indoor

GNinja

I've read somewhere here that there is an art or technical aspect of finding an interior microphone for your outdoor microphone.

I currently own a Sennheiser MKH8060 because my MKE600 mic kinda konked out (stupid battery exploded inside the mic and now it's giving off buzzing noise when I try to use battery power...). I use it for both indoor and outdoor and to me, both sides are acceptable except for some indoor scenes where I do get alot of room reverb. Would getting a hypercardiod/cardiod mic be better and if so, how do you choose a matching mic that works well with my microphone?

What are the technical aspects I should be looking at to find a matching microphone? As in, is there a way to measure by looking at specs and choosing that way?

The one I am looking at is the Neumann KM145/150. I see it pop up in a few recommended microphones for indoors. Good or bad choice?

The other ones are to find a microphone built by the same company, so maybe the sennheiser MKH 8040? MKH-50?

Any other recommendations or advice? Even if I shouldn't buy, it's good to know how to build up my gear down the road and building towards it is a good goal for me.

Thanks in advance!

There are many personal preferences involved here, that it would be impossible to recommend something to you. For me especially difficult, as I have no experience with the MKE600. You already found a case where you are unhappy with your current mic, so rent any and all of those you listed and more and try them out. Also, read here and in books as much as you can.

Before buying another mic I suggest looking/listening to the rooms that you think have too much reverb and try to solve that issue before even using any mic. Carpets, blankets, cushions help a lot in reducin reverb in rooms. Sometimes if you can afford to open a window that helps too. And lastly, the more people stand in a room the less reverb it has. Once you improved a room's acoustics and legibility like that even your 8060 will sound great. Then you can still get a 8050 to your 8060, or buy a MKH 50 or a Schoeps 41, which are some of the most used indoor mics in production sound.

There's no reason to "match" indoor and outdoor mics. Choose what you like.

I like an MKH50 indoors. Others prefer CMC6 with 41 capsule.

The 8060 should be pretty good most of the time indoors, so you can work on treating the room, as suggested.

But you ought to have 2 mics anyway. My vote is to buy an MKH50.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Constantin, I actually liked the MKE600 for what it is alot... so much that I preordered it before listening to it after hearing alot of great reviews at convention shows. So happy my risk panned out... but yeah, if it wasn't for the battery blowing up I wouldn't have considered buying another mic like the MKH 8060. And you are right, the MKH 8060 does handle both outdoor and indoor well, especially with the MM-1 Preamp. I am thinking of sending the MKE600 for repair and hopefully it's cost effective rather than buying a brand new one, which segways to RP Sharman's advice:

I really do like to own a second mic as a backup, which the MKE600 was suppose to be. Technically it still works if I send phantom power either from an MM-1 or my Roland R-44 but trying to use battery power makes a bad beep sound. I'm guessing the acid has gone somewhere I can't clean myself. But I digress.

All these advices help me alot basing on what to invest in next, either another mic or a Sound Device 633. Seems like I can save the money for the latter.