Dumb Wisycom question.

chrisyking

So I have my 4 Wisycom channels which have been working really well, but i still have one question. How are the preset frequencies on the receiver organised? Should I keep each transmitter on a different group? Is that how they are arranged? It seems like there are a ton of frequencies in each group, so am I supposed to keep my 4 channels on different channels but on the same group to avoid intermod, or am I supposed to keep them in any channel but in different groups?

I'm not sure how the Wisycom preset frequencies have been chosen......

Anyone?

(I can see the Senator sitting in front of his keyboard, biting his fingers, trying very hard to restrain himself LOL)

I have personally not used Wisycom wireless, but logic would suggest that they have arranged the groups in such a way that the frequencies within a group play nicely with each other - therefore they are a group.

I bet all the answers to your questions can be found here:

http://www.wisycom.com/www3/storage/downloads/Products/MTP40-en-u04-A5.pdf

O.K. thanks that's what I thought, but I tried having four channels on the same group today and I had some cross talk. That's why I thought maybe it was arranged slightly differently.

Unfortunately the manuals have almost no explanation of how and why they chose the presets they have. 

I tried four channels on group 09 and the fourth radio was causing intermod on the other channels...

Maybe Massimo will read this and explain?

I think group 09 is some special kind of group. Maybe that's why it's acting funny. I'll try another group tomorrow.

From the manual: 

' A scan on group 0 will reveal

in few seconds the overall DVB-T occupation on
the area, while a scan on group 9 will give possible
working frequency, usable also in presence of strong
DVB-T signal (sort to speak working in the bandguard
of 2 digital television channel).'

What the hell does that mean? Does that mean group 0 has all frequencies on it? Can anyone explain this?

Sorry for being thick.

Chris

I'm lost. The groups are arranged as 40 groups of 60 channels. I assume the channels in each group must be intermod free otherwise why would they bother. Think this is fairly standard no?

Re groups 0 and 09 here's the full quote:

As per Wisycom standard, group 0 and group 9
are special; respectively the “center frequency”
(474,482/... MHz) and the intergap frequency (i.e.
470/478/486/... MHz). A scan on group 0 will reveal
in few seconds the overall DVB-T occupation on
the area, while a scan on group 9 will give possible
working frequency, usable also in presence of strong
DVB-T signal (sort to speak working in the bandguard
of 2 digital television channel).

I'm not sure how that works. Maybe group 0 has frequencies which DVB-T use normally or something.... who knows...

Or maybe 0 and 9 have the entire range of frequencies so you can see what DVB-T is operating in the area.

Think of scans on the ATSC and intergap groups as core samples that give you an overall topography of the RF in your area.

When you run those scans, take note of the cleanest group and then rescan that specific group to find the cleanest channels within. I believe they did this to save time because scanning the entire roster of wideband frequencies would take a few minutes at a time.

I only have two TXs, so I usually just do a scan on ATSC and then my second scan on intergap and assign my packs to the clearest channel on each.

Thanks Doug. It seems that groups 00 and 01 are intergap and center scan, but they only give a scan over the entire range. The results are given as channels rather than groups, so I can't see how useful it is. 

If you do a scan on group 00 for example it gives you a load of free frequencies, but as channels, so to work out what groups are the most free from this will be quite difficult. One would have to write down each frequency then look on a chart to see what groups they were in..... Useless?

PS tried Wisycom. They haven't got back to me.

Crashes a bit for me. I still want to understand Wisycom's system though. It seems like they have all the intermod groups laid out. If only they would explain how the system works. Have to say I've been massively impressed with the sound quality of my Wisycoms. I have four units going into my sd633. I put channel 3 and 4 into line inputs 5 and 6 of the mixer. You have to put the line level to it's highest setting. That's the only thing I'm not happy with. The line level is a bit low on the MCR42. There's no way to get more juice out of them?

Crashes a bit for me. I still want to understand Wisycom's system though. It seems like they have all the intermod groups laid out. If only they would explain how the system works. Have to say I've been massively impressed with the sound quality of my Wisycoms. I have four units going into my sd633. I put channel 3 and 4 into line inputs 5 and 6 of the mixer. You have to put the line level to it's highest setting. That's the only thing I'm not happy with. The line level is a bit low on the MCR42. There's no way to get more juice out of them?

At the risk of asking the obvious questions, does tone reference correctly from the wisy to the 633?

No that's another question I had. I set the level nicely on the TX meters, then switch the tone on 0db on the receiver. I line up the Wisys 0db tone on the mixer at 0db and when I turn the tone off and put the tx on the level is tiny. 

Maybe I'm supposed to have the wisys tone on -18db?

1. shut down all the transmitters
  2. choose a group (but not 0 or 9*)
  3. scan receiver 1, accept the frequency it finds, transmit it by IRDA to the transmitter, put on the transmiter 1
  4. scan receiver 2 in the same group, accept the frequency it finds, transmit it by IRDA to the transmitter, put on the transmiter 2
  5. scan receiver 3 in the same group, accept the frequency it finds, transmit it by IRDA to the transmitter, put on the transmiter 3
  6. scan receiver 4 in th esame group, accept the frequency it finds, transmit it by IRDA to the transmitter, put on the transmiter 4

and so on if you have more radio mics.

Jsut note that while shooting if another frequency is coming (from another crew) it may work or... not. Jus t ask the sound guy from the other crew to coordinate his frequencies with yours. If not, youoneed to do again all those scans.

*Group 0 and 9 are not free of intermod, they are center and intergap of DVBT channels. Center is to have a quick picture of the spectrum. Choose another locked channel. Intergap in case of a desperate situation without any free frequency ; you can try to work between the DVBT channels.