K-Tek Harness?

Rasmus Wedin

Delayed. We've been making changes and tweaks. Once I get a sample with changes, then I like to have it tested for a LONG time. I want to see how well it holds up and if it does what we claim it will do. We actually have a chance to make something that will make mixer's lives better and safer, so we really want to do this right. 

Will it have a safety quick release like Steadicam vests / harnesses, pull a pin and it comes off in one?

No. A steadicam vest is just that...a vest. An Audio harness, which it may seem the same in practice, kind of isn't. I would have to make a full on vest for a single pin quick release to work properly, and that right there is a much higher cost, and then everyone would complain about being hot in it. I do have what I call "ejection buckles" on it that allow you to get out of the harness very quickly, though. 

I must have missed this, Dave, but if you are at liberty to discuss, could you mention some of the features of the upcoming harness?

e.

Sure.

When we started designing the harness we really looked at this as an opportunity to not just make another product, but to really help with health and safety while working. I read posts of people saying that because of back issues they had to retire early. Bag work was just messing them up. I wanted to make it so that didn't happen, so I looked at what other products out there make it so that when you carry a heavy load your lower back doesn't get messed up. I looked at hiking backpacks for inspiration. They use a metal frame to help distribute the weight of the pack down to your hips. 

We designed a harness that has a rigid piece of aluminum that goes down the spine. This connects to the upper part of the harness (the part that goes around your shoulders). Having this piece be rigid is absolutely key, otherwise it won't work in the way we want. The lower part of the harness must be connected solidly to the upper part, or else the weight of the bag won't get transferred. 

So, the harness has two parts. The upper part is similar to what you are used to. There are two straps that go over your shoulders, and then two straps that go under your shoulders. The upper part connects to the rigid back/lower part via a strap system that allows the harness to be height adjustable. There are a total of 6 mounting points. Most people are used to just 4, or even 2 mounting points, but we discovered that 6 discreet mounting points are absolutely crucial for weight distribution to get to where it needs to go. If you take away just two discreet mounting points, the whole thing doesn't work as well. 

The idea here is that your audio bag needs to be up and tight next to your body. This way it isn't flopping around in case you need to run or move quickly. The tighter it is against your body, the less likely that excess weight is going to get thrown around in weird directions. I could get into a big lengthy physics explanation of why I went this way, but suffice it to say that for me, getting weight tight up against your body is the main goal with all of our bag products because the closer the weight of your bag is against your body, the closer your actual center of gravity will be without the bag to your body, thus requiring less physical work. 

So, we get the bag nice and tight. We have 6 discreet mounting points. We have a rigid spine in the harness. When you get strapped in you'll immediately notice the weight of your bag is not on your shoulders, but now it is down at your hips. I've been having the harness beta tested for a long time now because I wanted to make sure it worked the way I want it to and to make sure it holds up to the abuses that a typical production can put on a harness. So far the reports have been great. Aaron 'Cujo' Cooley is my latest tester and he is loving it. Like me, he has lower back issues and he's been working on a job with a Deva and a bunch of wireless in a bag with the harness. I talked with him on the phone recently and he told me he wouldn't be able to do the job without our Harness. 

Now, with 6 discreet mounting points we needed to make sure you can get out of the harness quickly in case of an emergency, so we put in what I like to call the "ejection buckles". These are quick release buckles on the lower 4 mounting points of the harness that can allow you to get out of the harness in about two seconds. You only need to undo the buckles on one side to get out. The trick, though, is getting back in, and that's one of the things we've been tweaking. Each mounting point is secured to the bag via a sturdy Carabiner, and then the 4 lower carabiners are attached to the quick release buckles. Getting the design on these just right so they are easy to get out of and then back in has been tricky, but I think we've got it. I'll know for sure when I see our next prototype. 

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Since weight distribution is a big issue for me, I wanted to make it so you can mount stuff on the lower part of the harness, like the small Utility Bag we are making, and other stuff I have in the works, so there are straps that go around the hips of the harness for mounting things. Expect some good stuff coming to take advantage of those this year. 

This is a product that we are really excited about, and I understand that people want it as soon as possible. Nobody wants it on the store shelves more than me. Because of the demand we need to make sure this thing is as perfect as we can make it when it comes time for you to make your purchase. That takes some extra time, but it is worth it, and I think everyone will be happy in the end. 

That's a quick rundown. I believe there are some videos from Trew and Gotham from NAB last year where I was talking about the first prototype we had. The functionality is the same as what I show in the video, and the look is darn near the same. It's little things that we've been tweaking as time goes on that have changed, so you can see what it'll look like and how it'll work. 

No. A steadicam vest is just that...a vest. An Audio harness, which it may seem the same in practice, kind of isn't. I would have to make a full on vest for a single pin quick release to work properly, and that right there is a much higher cost, and then everyone would complain about being hot in it. I do have what I call "ejection buckles" on it that allow you to get out of the harness very quickly, though. 

This sounds very good, and the close attention to the center of gravity, and weight not on your shoulders also sounds great, I look forward to trying it.

Well, a "rough" timetable would be some time after today. I'll have a really good idea once I see the next sample. If it meets my approval then I can give you a firmer delivery date. 

I hate to say "available in April!" and then all of a sudden April comes and goes and I don't have them and I look like jerk.   ;D

• 2 weeks later...

No. We're making an audio harness for our audio bags. Our harness will actually work with any audio bag, and based on my testing and the beta testing I've had end users do for me, I think I can say it is by far and away the best harness, and I've tried it against everything on the market myself. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...